WAG Half lever help?? Urgent....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lydia

Gymnast
For my badge that I'm currently working on, (badge 1 in BAGA) I have to be able to hold a piked half lever or a straddled lever for 3 seconds. I find the pike lever easier but can't hold it for longer than about a second. Are there any conditioning exercises I can do to help? Or do I just have to practise? I have until Saturday morning, and this week is the last chance to pass. Please help :)

Why not try the straddle lever, my dd did that one last year when she did badge one, they didn't have to pass all 10 things to get the badge, I think 7 or 8 things in my dd's gym was enough. My dd practiced every day starting with a one second hold and building on that, if you can't manage the straddle lever then try the pike holding for 1 and gradually building on that.

Good luck with the badge testing, I hope you pass. At my dd's gym they do badge testing twice a year and a weeks practice before badge week, they don't work on any of the badge skills prior to that, the early badges were easy to pass, but as yet get to badges 4,3,2 & 1 it can be hard to pass first time with 1 week of practice (1 x 1 hour rec session), dd passed all her first time before she was 7, she is now in a development squad and they don't do badges anymore :(. What do you have to do to pass badge 1? Dd had to try and do the following:

Badge 1

1. 10 shuttle runs - Passed
2. Splits - I think they wanted left & right, dd could on do left
3. Half lever or straddled half lever - passed dd did straddle lever
4. Jump full turn - dd couldn't do this
5. Moving toward handstand using apparatus - passed
6. Change leg handstand - passed
7. Handstand forward roll - passed
8. Matched & mirrored sequence – to include roll, jump & balance - passed
9. Throw hand apparatus, perform leap, catch & perform a balance - passed
10. Straddle on box top & straddle jump off - I think dd passed the one.

I think dd got 8 out of 10. Dd really wanted the medal you get when you pass this badge.

Let me know how you get on and if you pass or not.

Although BG require a minimum of 8/10, lots of clubs require 10/10 as the skills are not that advanced. With all things its a question of practice, practice, practice. I used to tell my girls to count "Pink Fluffy Elephants" for the seconds - it helps them concentrate and hold the move.

Good luck

Thanks! And yes I have to do those too. I've already passed 5 of them. :) and hopefully the counting method will work. Will let you know how I get on :) :)

Lydia

try and do them multiple times a day just for a few minutes. You will be surprised how quick you can increase the seconds. Stick to the pike lever if you are better at that. As a warm up try sitting in pike, reach forwards and place your hands on the floor past your knees and lift your feet up and down off the floor 10 times. If that is easy move your hands further towards your feet. Also holding a good front support position for 20 pushing up hard through the shoulders pulling the chest up as high as your can will help strengthen your arms and shoulders in the correct shape.

Keep going. You can do this. And when you do the test just push up, grit your teeth and fight.

Although BG require a minimum of 8/10, lots of clubs require 10/10 as the skills are not that advanced. With all things its a question of practice, practice, practice. I used to tell my girls to count "Pink Fluffy Elephants" for the seconds - it helps them concentrate and hold the move.

Good luck

Do the clubs that require 10/10 works on the skills needed for badges for a number of weeks leading up to the badge week, the club my dd's go to only get 1 hour to work/practice the skills before testing, looking at the list for badge one they rarely work on the skills needed and never work on splits, levers or jump turns, to pass you needed to be able to naturally able to do those things, if you needed all 10 in our club than I doubt many would pass ( dd would fail on jump full turn and right splits, she could only do left, now dd could pass all 10, but that is due to strength and flexibility work in her development group). Even when they do the advance badges they only get 1 practice and don't work on skills needed during their rec sessions.

No ours do "badges week", where they will have one or two practices then get tested. TBH its really only the rec gymnasts who do the badges in our gym, I know P&F only got as far as badge 5, then she went to competitive gym and grades. Each club does them differently.

Here it tends to be leisure centres and ymca type clubs that do the badges, as a way of rewarding progress, the competitive gymnasts have their competitions and grades.

Ours are like that too Margo - they have badge week two or three times a year. I don't think they practice them beforehand, but if they can't quite do it when tested they go off to have a practice and try gain at the end of the session. My dd was like yours - she did the first 3 or 4, I think on the first badge session she did, and then moved to development squad.

Good luck Lydia. I have nothing to add to Jenny's advice. Mind over matter...

Thank you for your advice everyone! Xx :D

There's actually another thing I need to ask... (Cheeky I know) But does anyone have any tips for doing a handstand forward roll (with bent arms)? I can do a handstand and a forward roll, but when I try to combine the two, I get scared and either roll too early or get to the top and come back down in fear of hurting my back or head. Is there any way to get over my fear? Thanks :) xx

Lydia

Well done, I knew you could do it. Did you get a medal with your badge?

No not yet Tiny Dancer, but I think I'm getting one next week :) (thanks by the way) xx

Lydia

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back