WAG Half-on

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

IT is depending on the opinion of the coach. In my opinion, iT is not. Its similar, but not the same. Half on is all the way turned in, tsuk times is about 1/4 turned in. Half on has straight arms, tsuk timer has a bent leading arm. Similar, but not the same

That is exactly what I suspected.

Follow-up question: Does anyone do a half on in JO now that L6 and L7 do the timers? Why would JO athletes even train this vault?

That is exactly what I suspected.

Follow-up question: Does anyone do a half on in JO now that L6 and L7 do the timers? Why would JO athletes even train this vault?
Actually in the code, a half on is really a 1/4 to 1/2 on - repulsion off. JO may not do it as much anymore, but it is popular in Xcel.
In JO, probably the only ones who will train it will be doing it if they are more of a "twisting" club than a "flipping" club.
We don't have a pit, so our L8s trist instead of flip. They do 1/2 on- 1/1 off.

The 1/4 vs 1/2 is just a hold over from the days of long/side horse. With the change in apparatus came a change a more drastic in technique. A 1/2 or 1/4 really makes little difference to the vault itself but I would argue that the 1/4 on is a better approach in almost all circumstances. I agree that the only people doing an actual 1/2 on will be doing it for none salto vaults, but I’ve worked at gyms with and without pits and have always had kids flipping and even twisting salto vaults. Just takes a bit more time and is way more of a workout for me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back