WAG hamstrings and glutes firing in the wrong order

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

emorymom

Proud Parent
I know I have read about this on this board but I'm getting nothing on a search. Anyone know about this?

In the wrong order for what skill specifically? This is very movement specific. Maybe try pm-ing Dunno or some of the other coaches on here?

I think you are thinking of a post I made previously. My dd had this issue. Her glutes were firing last instead of first with her back taking most of the pressure. It was a quick fix from the Chiro/manual therapist we work with and a bit of follow up and she is all good now.

They are pretty convinced that this was a contributing factor to her back issues and also caused her to not be able to access her explosiveness in leaps/jumps and some tumbling.

Once we fixed it she has made tremendous progress in explosiveness very quickly and now is one of the more powerful tumblers on our team. She wasn't lacking the strength or flexibility but just wasn't able to access it.

She also had some blockage in her hip joints that was limiting her range of motion and limited greatly her ability to split in the air and also contributed significantly to her back injury.

This was all stuff her coach, doctor and physical therapist all missed. Fixing these issues has made all the difference in the world.

I'm not a doctor but I am happy to answer questions about what I know in my context.

Could you maybe link your previous post? I tried to look it up through your username but it wouldn't let me. I'm interested in hearing more about this. I'm considering taking my daughter to a chiropractor. Is this something they noticed on their own or did you have them specifically looking for it?

Thank you IreneKa! I was looking but couldn't even get my own previous posts to load. Was going to look from my pc this morning but thanks so much for posting the link.

Thank you, I'm sure that was the post. DD has been having back pain and finally hit a good PT who says her glutes are really doing nothing independently, that she fires them only after firing her hamstrings, and is treating.

Stumbled upon this article and thought of this thread. It's about about the glutes, how weak glutes can contribute to the lower back problems, and some exercises to make them stronger:
http://www.hybridperspective.com/20...ning-exercises-gymnasts-need-to-do-regularly/

• A possible issue contributing to lower back pain for gymnasts who stand in the “arch back” or anterior pelvic tilt. A gymnast with poor glute control often times overuses their hamstring and lower back with skill work

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back