hand placement on back handspring (beam)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I recently decided to start working on my back handsprings on beam. When I do them, instead of putting one hand in front of the other, i put one hand on top of the other. I'm wondering is this safe? Sometimes my hand lands on my top 4 fingers but sometimes it only lands on my pointer finger. I don't know how to stop this, it feels right to me but it kind of hurts my fingers. Idk, i tried putting one hand in front but they automatically go on top of each other. What do you think? thanks! :)

I had always placed my hands one in front of the other until one fateful regional meet when on my second BHS into my dismount my right hand somehow landed on top of my left. I sustained fractures of the metacarpals and carpals. I have no clue how or why I placed my hands that way, because for 4 years I had been doing it properly and my coach said nothing seemed "off." Perhaps my injury was unique or because I was a strong beam tumbler setting up for a full, not sure- but it was terrible. At the time we didn't know it was a fracture and figured it for a sprain, so i hopped up on beam and just did a back salto off the end to compete a dismount. I was at that crazy age of 15 and when I was recuperating I "discovered" boys and ended my competitive career.
What does your coach say about it? I cannot imagine that it is a safe or effective technique, but perhaps my experience leaves me jaded. If you are feeling pain from it, I would take it off beam and back onto the floor until you get it right. Good luck.

You want to put one hand in front of the other. It is safer. It also helps you square your handspring. Make sure that you put your opposite hand in front. In other words, if you're a righty and you're standing on the beam in 5th with right foot in front, your left hand will be placed in front. A common mistake I've seen from a lot of girls is using same hand and foot, so they twist and grab the beam sideways. Never pretty. Since you're just starting the skill, work on perfecting your hands. I would do some handstands on beam with this hand placement and a drill where you lay on top of a pacman at the end of a floor beam, then drop onto your hands in this position. It gives you the time to get the feel without the flight element. Your hands should be nested with your front hand in the L of the other between thumb and forefinger.

Good luck!

Make sure that you put your opposite hand in front. In other words, if you're a righty and you're standing on the beam in 5th with right foot in front, your left hand will be placed in front. A common mistake I've seen from a lot of girls is using same hand and foot, so they twist and grab the beam sideways.

Wow! I never knew this. I did it the wrong way and never had issues, but logically what you are saying makes sense. My dd is just a level 4 but has a beautiful bwo on beam and a beautiful bhs step out on floor and is eager to put the bhs on beam. Her coach told her she'd help her over the summer with it- I will have to see how they work it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back