WAG Hand size

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

John

Proud Parent
Dani sent her most best favorite grips to grip heaven, she apparently doesn't like breaking in new ones. At gym all the "new" 5s just got their first pair of dowel grips. All this got me thinking and wondering about hand size. Is their an opinion on hand size and how size equates to performance? Dani's new grips are English Bulldog, all she will wear no idea why, size 0.

Plus the chalkbucket has been slow lately and I am out of things to read.

Completely unscientific guess- the smaller hands belong to the tiny phenoms, and that relates to better performance. Ha. My DD has hands that are bigger than her father’s and she wears the biggest grip size. Ha.
Lol, YG refuses to wear dowel grips, but she and I wear the same size palm grips (although I need wider finger holes). IF she wore dowel grips, she would wear bigger ones than me because she has long fingers and mine are short and stubby- my middle finger is not quite 3 inches long and the circumference at the base of the finger measures the same, lol.

Our gym requires buckles. Mostly because the coach can not stand to see them fussing with Velcro.

One of our best L7 really L8 gymmies the smallest with smallest hands. She only wears tape grips. One of the first to get giants. The rest wear dowel grips.

I’m not sure hand size matters. They just learn to deal.

Dani hated dowels and used tape grips for the longest time.

When I think about hand size I wonder if small hands require the gymnast to have extra grip strength but I also wonder if large hands cause the bar to be held more in the fingers instead of the palm as I invision with a smaller hand.

Guess they just deal and learn is what happens.

Wonder if coaches have any thoughts.

I think they all “hate” what they are not used to.

All our girls hated the grips those first few weeks. The short/small one never really adjusted. The others did,

Mine resisted and hated her tiger paws at first. Now she doesn’t even think about not wearing them.

Mine will start wearing grips next week. She sized at an XXS so I’m a little worried. A friend grabbed a pair of 00 at an area gym this week and they were WAY too big. So, we shall see what happens when these arrive. I mean, I’m sure there is some crazy 7 year-old level seven with much smaller hands than her (she is 9, but has freakishly smalll hands and feet) so these grips must exist right??

ETA: it was English bulldog 00 they were super super big on her

Mine just got size 0 with Buckles looking at them on here they look really wide like they cover almost her whole palm. Another parent mentioned they may have to cut them---evidently they did that with her daughter because of her small hands and now her old grips are the grip cutting template? Who knows time will tell I guess? Meanwhile DD will only talk about how excited she is for Tuesday when she first gets to use her grips!

My dd started out in the English Bulldog kipper grips in 000 with buckles when she was 9. She could do bare handed giants before that but her coaches wouldn’t let her do toe hands or stalders without grips because she would peel a lot and they didn’t want to create fears or bad habits. She would peel on front giants and inside stalders even when she went to grips. Hands were just too small!

My DD needed new grips the week before her first meet. When I asked her what happened to her other new grips, she finally confessed that she had hated them and never wore them. She had been using the same pair of grips for nearly 2 years and they were tearing. Come to find out the new grips were just too wide for her hand. I spoke to her coach and he suggested a grip called Just Right made by Gibson. I paid as much in shipping as the grips (needed them to arrive ASAP) but they arrived within a few days and she has loved them. Took minimal time to break in and she was able to compete in them. She brought home her other grips (same size) and the difference was pretty amazing. Her hands were just too small for the wider/normal grips.

DD has very small hands and started out in just right by Gibson. She switched over to US Glove around level 7/8 in the double buckle. I want to say she is in the 00. She struggled with bars prior to getting grips in level 5, but then seemed to take off. I always have wondered if they made her feel more secure on the bar due to her small hands?

DD has very small hands and started out in just right by Gibson. She switched over to US Glove around level 7/8 in the double buckle. I want to say she is in the 00. She struggled with bars prior to getting grips in level 5, but then seemed to take off. I always have wondered if they made her feel more secure on the bar due to her small hands?

That is what I was speculating. Guess it is too random to actually determine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back