Hand stands

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am the mother of a level 5 gymnast. She has been having problems with her hand stand. She does them great on a low beam, but once she is about two feet or higher she can't get past a level 4 hand stand. She is a great little gymnast but she has this block. I just wondered if anyone knew how to get over this hurdle.:confused:

My dd is having the same issue. She scared of going vertical on high beam. I think just time getting confident doing them will help. Other than that I have no idea what to suggest. Thanks for posting this. Hopefully someone will give us some insight. How old is your dd?

Here's an article about handstands, with some video. It's not specific to beam, but a handstand is a handstand, and when your daughter becomes more comfortable with them and stronger in them, there won't be any fear in doing them on the beam.

Basics, Basics, Basics!!!—The Training of a Handstand. Coaching Gymnastics in the New Millenium

Well my dd has great handstand on floor. Just this weekend held it for 20 secs in her TOPS class. Also she can do cartwheels and bwo on beam but not veritcal handstands.....doesn't make much sense and I've tried reasoning with her but fear is usually irrational. I know she will overcome it eventually she just needs more time and she's young so time is on her side.

Does your gym do that drill where they put the stacked mats at the end of the beam, have them do handstands to vertical and deliberately fall over onto the mat? I think that helps for them to get a sense of balance and where they need to be in the handstand. That plus lots and lots of practice on beam handstands.

In some ways, I have the same problem. The other day I ahd a very bad fall doing a handstand on a high beam during Performance Day, and my teamates thought I was dead. My advice is to bounce right back up and not think about falling, or the drill with the stacked mats. Hope I helped. :)

We have the girls do their hs at the very end of the beam and intentionally kick past vertical and twist and land on their feet on an 8 in mat at the end of the beam. We stand by and help them twist the first time or two but it is a pretty natural concept and most will do it automatically if they feel themselves falling over. Once they know how to turn out of an overkicked hs they usually feel much more comfortable going to vertical.

We also show them either on the floor at a wall or on a low beam at a wall how to kick just beyond vertical and then bring the hs back to vertical without falling.

Then we do a lot of hs contests on the beam. Both cross and side for dismounts.

Once in a while if we have a really scared one we set them up with a low beam and 8in mats to the level of the beam and have them do hs flat back like the level 4 vault just to get them used to going over the top.

When we are practicing, if they are not hitting vertical we have them "kick one over" just to figure out where the "top" is. Sometimes they think they really are vertical when they are not.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back