Off Topic Hands-on gymnastics project?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
At DD's school, each student needs to do an end-of-year project. The school is 5th-8th grade. In 5th grade she did a presentation about her pet lizard. In 6th, she did it on local species of spiders and had the whole family trapping her little subjects (there were two students in her class who had a phobia about spiders and needed to leave the room). This year, 7th grade, and she wants to do it on gymnastics. Obviously she's going to need to focus her project a bit, since gymnastics is a pretty big topic. As part of it, she needs to have a "hands-on" component. I asked if doing something like taking her class through basic stretches would count, but she said that she didn't think so, and besides, there isn't enough room. Can you think of something she could make and pass around that would have something to do with gymnastics? I'm thinking that, if she finds a good project, the focus for the presentation will grow out of that. Any thoughts?

Maybe something to do with chalk? Have her explain how chalk works in gymnastics and pass some around to let them feel it and see how it affects hand/surface grip and friction?
That's a great idea!

She could do some research into some of the other things gymnasts use to enhance their grip on bars too, ie honey etc. For the hands on part bringing in chalk would be great. As well maybe 2 dowels, so they can feel the no chalk one and one with chalk on their hands

I did a project like this once, but I compared different Leo's. Like texture, size, style, and why they are better to wear than a tshirt and shorts, I also compared brands and had some my class mates feel them

I like the bars idea. Having her bring in a dowel ( or two) that is the same diameter of a gym bar. She could also show a short video of her bars routine. Have classmates grip one bar with bare hands at the beginning of her presentation. Then talk about things that affect grip, chalk, grips, water, honey. Then have them chalk their hands and pass around the bar again.

My daughter has done a few cool projects for math class. She took videos at gym of skills and made power points about the physics behind tumbling and swinging bars. She is in high school. Teacher and classmates loved it!

About the honey at one of my dd's competitions the chalk just wouldn't stay on her grips, as soon as you pick up the chalk is just crumbles into powder, so dds coach put a little bit of honey on her grips, and she was fine to do her bar routine, even got 4th place even though she had never done a full bar routine since the previous competition season

I also really like the chalk idea I think it's really so something different then other kids will have.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back