Handspring front vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

no heel drive and she has to finish her hurdle to get on top of the board. that landing is not healthy long term. bad for the knees and shins.

There's not a lot of shape change or quick enough(conversion from extended to tuck position) her shoulders don't snap open as much as I would like to see going into the tuck...she's got potential on this vault but if she can do a tsuk layout I don't know that I would be too eager to change yet. A good (landed) layout tsuk would score better. Also hitting back on the board so there's loss of power but also a lack of quick turnover (though that takes a long time to develop).

That said, I don't offer that as coaching tips but as an explanation of what I see as a coach to a parent. It would be better to ask her coaches what they think about it and if there is extra work/conditioning they think she could do or what she could focus on when she is working on independent drills.

She looks to be trying to do a compulsory version of the front handspring vault then flip it. Unfortunately, the compulsory version of the vault isn't quite correct for high level vaults.
1. She's way back on the spring board. She needs to be as close to the table as she can comfortably control to eliminate loss of momentum.
2. There don't seem to be any springs in the board (just looked a little flimsy to me)
3. Heel drive and push the arms toward the ears (not down) during the preflight and support phase.
4. It's kind of hard to tell but the table looks a little low.
5. get a tight arch position then sit up (makes for a better flip)

Look at the timing difference and shapes in your video side by side with this one from a girl I coached a few years back:
First competitive Front Front - YouTube

Not her best but pretty darn good.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back