Handstand Forward Rolls

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Without seeing it, it can be hard to say exactly why she has an issue standing up correctly. One possibility is that she is opening out of her tuck too early. If she starts to open her chest (think arching- but it doesn't have to be that extreme- even just a flat back position counts as opening) and pull out of the roll early, then it will be difficult to stand up. Some of my gymnasts had an issue with this. I told them to think about staying round or ball-like until they were securely on their feet and then stand up.

Opening out of her tuck early is exactly her problem. She has done it correctly and can, but she's been doing it incorrectly for so long that it takes a bit of extra effort to do it right and she's a bit reluctant to change it. I will try telling her to stay round. Thanks!

My daughter is just starting to do these. What has helped her is for her to be reminded to look at her bellybutton when she starts to fall over. If she does this she'll roll out of it pretty nicely most of the time. She too hates to flop over on her back, almost to the point where she's just not interested in doing handstands, so I'm glad that we've found that the trick for her is to be reminded to tuck that head and look for her bellybutton. That said, she does bend her arms when she rolls out, but she just started doing them this past week. Hopefully with time she'll start rolling with straight arms.

Lots of great suggestions here though, great thread.

That said, she does bend her arms when she rolls out, but she just started doing them this past week. Hopefully with time she'll start rolling with straight arms.

My DD also bends her arms a little, but she has also only just started learning them. At least she is rolling now. Hopefully the arms will improve later. When your arms are straight you come down with a lot more momentum so it all happens quite fast, which can be a bit scary.

I'm with GT on this one. Lots of falls to candlestick. If the need a spot to get the idea that's fine. The down hill mats make this easier without the bounce when they decide not to do them correctly.

I like to look at the HS forward roll as a fall into a roll. Bending the arms tends to make the knees meet the face and I think this would be unpleasant.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back