Parents Hard Decision.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thanks rd7. She's definitely not on the elite track as we've been to the meets and have seen what the girls just a year older are already doing. I would say she's a level 6 but training some of the level 7 moves. It seems much more straight forward in the States….here she competes 'in age' or 'out of age' depending on birthdate. It seems it's possible to start competing as 'in age' but unless the gymnast can progress on all events at a very steady rate, she soon becomes 'out of age' as she hasn't mastered the new skills needed to stay on the 'in age' track . Forgive me if this is incorrect or you know this already. It seems my daughter - although progressing quickly at the moment - is already behind as her training hours are lower than many of the other competitive gyms. As you suggested….now would be the time to move her because of age. She was talking about it again this morning so don't think she's going to let it go! :)

If this is child driven, and really important to her, I would let her do it. Who is to say she is wasting her childhood with 8 extra hours a week? My 8 year old is at 17 hours right now and has plenty of time for playdates, legos, her American girl doll (gymnast Makenna ofcourse), bike riding, Minecraft and TV. She has sleepovers and does plenty of 8 year old things, and attends regular school. We don't have any family nearby, so we may have more free time than others with limited family obligations. But still, she has enough time on her hands to wander around the house bored sometimes at which I suggest a good book.Let her go for it.

Chiming in here with the let her go for it vote:) as the saying goes 'nothing ventured, nothing gained.'

But make sure you leave on good terms so you can return if possible.

Because your Dd OP doesn't have the skills of kids already training elite track doesn't mean she won't quickly gain them in the right setting.

And of you leave on good terms at least your Dd won't always wonder how she might have gone :)

I'd support her and take her to the bigger gym. If you speak with her current coaches and leave in good terms, they should have no trouble taking your daughter back if it does not work out. I would move before summer training. If you wait after that, your daughter may risk being either further behind or not competing. At 9, it is hard to tell how far a gymnast can go, particularly if she just started gym. There are several posts above that offer things to think about. And do consider them. But I would certainly support her dreams and goals.

I will let you all know if we make the move! Dd's coaches are fantastic and I'm pretty sure they would understand and support the decision - but I get a knot in my tummy every time I even imagine the conversation! It's all so awkward isn't it??!! I'll be in touch - thanks so much for all the posts.

I think it depends on how limiting the existing facilities are. You say there is no pit. Has she got to the stage of doing giants? Do they have a metal bar and support to work those?

The way I see it is that if staying she limits what she can do she will get frustrated. If you make the move and she loves it, you might find that she progresses quickly - or more slowly. But hopefully this will be at her pace and not dictated by the facilities. She may not up her hours as much as she hopes for at the moment depending on that progress. And as she does she may find her natural level and stop at those hours herself. The only thing I would bear in mind with this though is what coaches and opportunities you actually do get at the big gym is you are not one of their elite girls. If they have plenty of other options, then why not give it a go?

Hi gymdog. No - no pits. And dd wants pits! Lol. There is the worry that she'll outgrow her current gym. It's a tough decision but will let dd guide the process.

Well then if she's already a 9 year old level 6/7 she's almost outgrown it I would say, in terms of continuing at the same track she is on. I'm sure she can learn more there, of course, but it's doubtful she'll reach her full potential. You guys will have to decide how she feels about that. Does she want to do other sports. Or is this it? My parents faced a similar decision when our nearby gym closed, there were other nearby facilities which were not really equipped for higher levels or drive a long way. We chose the bugger gym because gymnastics was it for me - I never did other sports or activities and furthermore, I don't regret that. It's a little bit of a different decision than what you're faced with, but still, if she is progressing that fast then her current coaches will likely understand..,

Hello and welcome to chalk bucket. I think your dilemma is one faced by many gym parents so is one that people tend to relate to. A keen and talented child can be quite a force. I feel for you.

You say you are having a 'head vs heart' moment. I have read your posts and can't work out what your heart is saying vs your head. What was your gut feeling on it? Often, big shiny clubs have a reputation. For some, it will be founded. For others, you might be surprised.

What kind of competitions has your daughter been in and has she has success? I don't know enough about the US system to be able to measure against Level 6/7. But that does sound to me like she must be really quite talented after such a short time in the sport.

I would assume if she is a US 6/7 then she would be a UK Level 4 ? That would make her in age if she is an 06. If that is the case and she is progressing to level 3 next year then she is on track. Did she do compulsories this year ?

Hi. My heart is telling me to keep DD where she is. She's still progressing, gets a lot of attention and enjoys her time at the gym…but….she is always looking forward. She realizes she will eventually outgrow her gym. With no pits and limited amount of equipment it's inevitable.

She only competes regional at moment working toward national. And yes coaches said level 4 for next year although she's not quite there yet. For Grades I think it's regional 3. She does place well in her competitions and enjoys competing. Doesn't let nerves get to her at all.

So of course my head is telling me to move her so she can reach her max potential. Thing is I'm realistic. The move would allow her to progress and gain the harder skills . She would potentially compete at higher levels - maybe national- but that's where it will most likely cap. I know it's what she wants but honestly I fear she'll get lost in the mix at a bigger gym. I think her confidence will take a big knock when she sees girls in her age group who have already mastered giants (she has started training them but no where close to on her own yet) and twisting on floor.

She has very close relations with her coaches at the current gym who know exactly what she's capable of. They would most likely be understanding and offer an honest opinion if I sat down with them to discuss …however I feel like once I've done that DD will be treated differently if she chooses to stay.

Sorry this probably doesn't clarify anything and I must sound like one very confused Mum! I know if we move it should be now with the summer up training and everything but I want DD to really think it through. I think she'll go and have a trial at the new gym which is the obvious thing to do and then take it from there. It might be a real eye opener for her! Thanks for your posts.

In addition to everything else I would also consider the qualification level of the coaches at your current gym. If they aren't qualified to a high level then they won't be able to coach the harder moves.

Yes coaches at current gym very qualified and good mix of professionalism with fun. If I was guaranteed the new gym would have instructors with similar coaching styles it would be a no-brainer. However it's a much bigger gym so I presume the coaches won't be able to connect as closely with DD due to the large numbers of gymnasts. I could be wrong though. But anyway - will she even care once she's flying into those lovely, big, foamy pits?!;)

Did she do grades this year? Does your club have older elites- above Level 2? The level she's at seems very good for a club with low level facilities :). Especially if she's not being doing WAG long. Is she one of the best at the club? How do the older girls do?

The other thing I'd think about is if the club are doing so well, they might upgrade their facilities soon. Many clubs I know once they start producing a certain level of gymnast the facilities become important, as you are seeing.

Personally, because of the elite track meaning "regular" gymnasts are never really going to get to a very high level, I'd stick with seeing it as a hobby. Fun, active, but fits around school and life. Big gyms tend to view life as fitting round gymnastics.

There are pros and cons to every decision. In addition to all the points made above, including what you've stated, consider that as girls get older and even more attached to their gym and friends, switching may get more difficult. The time may come when you feel she has capped out at her current gym and find it best to switch her but she may no longer want to switch. Now you are stuck. If she's already behind right now, she may get more behind.

As far as mean, strict coaches, I would not listen too much to gossip. When I was researching a switch for my daughter, it seemed every gym had some aspect that was terrible. Two of the gyms reputably had horrible mean coaches. I met those two coaches and (my daughter ended up in one of those gyms and is very happy and loves her coach) both coaches are not only not mean and horrible, they are very good people. Coaches may lose their tempers at meets and yell at their gymnasts and the "haters" latch onto that. I am not pushing for a gym switch as keeping your daughter in her current gym may be the best option for her and that perhaps the coaches at the big gym are truly not nice; she could get lost in the mix, etc. I am merely sharing my experience and more things to ponder. Good luck.

As far as mean, strict coaches, I would not listen too much to gossip. When I was researching a switch for my daughter, it seemed every gym had some aspect that was terrible..

This. Before my DD switched she talked to her old teammates about her gym choices. The coach at her (soon to be) new gym used to coach at the gym she was in at the time. Some of the girls were adamant that the coach was mean and awful and my DD would be miserable. Even the coach told her the new coach was too strict and mean for her. DD switched and has been at the new gym about six weeks. She really likes her new coach and even approached her after practice just this week to thank her. She appreciates that the new coach pushes her, and gets her to do the things she is afraid to try. The old coach thought she was laid back, but that didn't work for my DD, she wants the strict, the hard. To her, that's not mean at all. It's a kindness to care enough to keep kicking her in the butt. Anyway, yeah.. Gotta decide on personality matches for yourself, after meeting people firsthand.

This. Before my DD switched she talked to her old teammates about her gym choices. The coach at her (soon to be) new gym used to coach at the gym she was in at the time. Some of the girls were adamant that the coach was mean and awful and my DD would be miserable. Even the coach told her the new coach was too strict and mean for her. DD switched and has been at the new gym about six weeks. She really likes her new coach and even approached her after practice just this week to thank her. She appreciates that the new coach pushes her, and gets her to do the things she is afraid to try. The old coach thought she was laid back, but that didn't work for my DD, she wants the strict, the hard. To her, that's not mean at all. It's a kindness to care enough to keep kicking her in the butt. Anyway, yeah.. Gotta decide on personality matches for yourself, after meeting people firsthand.

My daughter would agree with you on this. When I mentioned the new gym had a reputation for being strict she said 'good that's what I want!' Like your DD she wants to be pushed and gets annoyed if there's too much down time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back