Parents Hardest lower level

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Curious, which JO level from 3-6 did you find the hardest? 3 for us as we had transitioned from xcel and that mill circle....

I think each has their own "OMG is this ever going to work out moments" 3 to 4 is a big one for a lot of kids bc of the kip and introducing the high bar as well as using the vault table. But glory that stinking mill circle...I'll just say that Little Bit did a Kip mount in L3 and I had zero concerns that she wouldn't make it but I held my breath during the mill circle EVERYTIME

Whichever one my kid was in at that moment. ;):p

Honestly, this is just truth.

That being says the jump from 3-4 is a big one but I have seen more girls quit between 4 & 5. So who knows, each level has it's challenges.

I felt 4 was harder. Level 2&3 seemed to judged nicer. Went to 4 and it seemed like scoring was more cut throat. Add in kips, squat ons, vault table and some tumbling on the beam (cartwheel), and it was the first time it seemed like "real" gymnastics. Level 5 seemed to be judged even harsher but my DD did much better (score and placement wise) as a 5.

4 was the hardest for my DD. She struggled to get her kip for a long time and didn't score a 9 on bars until a post season meet. She did much better as a 5 because she had her kip down well by then and was a lot stronger. The level 5 skills came more quickly for her as a result.

3 was definitely hardest for my DD. That dang stride circle won almost every time, I think it was state before she finally really had it under control!

4 had its own set of issues, she had a block with competing the squat on....warm ups always looked great but she fell almost every meet on the squat on. The rest of her routine was usually pretty good and she always scored pretty well, even with a fall.

Reactions: sce
As a whole, the girls in our gym seems to struggle more from level 3 to 4 than 4 to 5. Not exactly sure why that is. Many girls seem to struggle with the FHS vault in 4, and not the kip itself, but connecting the kip to cast to horizontal seems to be very difficult for many of our 4s.

By 5, they seem to have gotten much better at the FHS vault and score much better on it than in 4, and bars actually looks good for most of our 5s, which just doesn't seem to be the case for most of the 4s.

My dd was never consistent with the mill circle, but managed to make it at every meet in both levels 2 and 3, despite frequently missing it in practice. But her gym competes 2 also, and by 3, mill circle was no big deal for most kids, except mine!

3 was definitely hardest for my DD. That dang stride circle won almost every time, I think it was state before she finally really had it under control!

I'm not sure Josc could pull the stride/mill circle off now!

However, L4 was the greatest challenge for her. FHS vault and the jump to high bar were particularly difficult for her tiny body.

I don't find any of them hard, but then I don't do them. :)

4 and 5/6, The work and effort to get stuff and get it with good form. The need to condition goes up exponentially with each level.

4, basic skills kick up as does the competition. 2/3 they were used to our whiole team rocking it. It was a shock to many kids and parents, when, sweeping awards didn't happen at a meet.

5/6, skills kick up even more, more time in the air. Fears, blocks and injuries come into play.

All our kids made it through 2/3/4 and did pretty well competing wise. We lost 25% from 4 to 5/6.

I expect another 25% to not get to 7.

I think that's rather typical, many kids can do a cartwheel and a BHS. Less tucks. Even less can do them on a high beam. Many can vault onto a mat, less can do a FHS, even less yurchenkos and tsuks. Many low bar, less high, even less letting go and so on.

Happens in every sport.

I ask because 4 seemed simple after 3 and the mill.......bars was always DD favorite till 3....she had her kip 9 months before her Mill circle. She would swing herself so hard on the mill she would go around twice. Testing out of 5 and going to 6 and my mom nerves are back

I ask because 4 seemed simple after 3 and the mill.......bars was always DD favorite till 3....she had her kip 9 months before her Mill circle. She would swing herself so hard on the mill she would go around twice. Testing out of 5 and going to 6 and my mom nerves are back
Took my kid nearly 2 years to get that mill circle. But boy when she got it, it was a thing of beauty. Never to be seen again.

Kip nearly a year, but it is pretty much never going away.

The mill circle is something to be gotten through. I am sure my kid now doing 6, up training 7/ stuff couldn't do that circle at this point.

I agree the mill circle is going to be the death of DD. Her first meet she did it perfectly, 2nd and 3rd meet she over rotated and lost it...after the third meet, right before her 4th I told her I don't care how weird it looks just hang on for dear life and stay up there! And at the 4th meet she did it! You can tell how hard she tried to stay up there too lol!

I definitely think each level is going to have "that one skill" that all of us (parents and gymnasts) would wish never existed, but that just makes it that much more rewarding when they do get it.

I definitely think each level is going to have "that one skill" that all of us (parents and gymnasts) would wish never existed, but that just makes it that much more rewarding when they do get it.

But those other "one skills" will be hard to completely avoid. The mill circle ends at level 3.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back