Parents Has anyone been to the Presidential Classic in Orlando?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our gym is thinking about taking the level 4s (my DDs team) this year to the Presidential Classic in Orlando. My personal opinion on this is that it is going to be a huge waste of money. I will have a 5 month old baby in February (he's due in Sept) and my husband will be working, so he won't be able to go, so it will be just me, 5 month old son, and 9 year old DD. I just think with the cost of airfaire, hotel, and Disney tickets, this is just one of those meets we will have to skip on. Just seeing if anyone else has been to this meet and if it's worth all the money you will spend on it? We live in WV, so it's definitely not close for us. It would be 13 hours if we drove. Again, I'm just kind of frustrated and hoping the gym decides not to take the 4s this year like they didn't last year. But if anyone has any advice on making this meet cheaper, I would appreciate it!

Hi,
I would tell the coach that your family will be unable to make this time/financial commitment at this time. In my experience, most gyms do not do these type travel meets with lower level compulsory gymnasts unless the travel is less involved. Those that do often use some type of fundraising to offset the cost.

I, personally, think that it is ridiculous at level 4. I am sure that there are plenty of big meets within a reasonable driving distance! If the coach hears this from many parents, it will probably impact his/her decision-making process.

Good luck!

Yes, most of the other meets are in state or only about 3-4 hours away. The exception is the Kalahari in Sandusky, OH, which is 5 hours away, but still do-able. I may just have to be upfront with her coaches and when the schedule comes out in Sept for the competition season and the Orlando meet shows up on there, just tell them that is the only one we will miss, but will have to miss because of our family situation.

That is just crazy. I agree that you should just say this meet is out of your family budget and that your DD will not be attending. Meets that involve that much money and hassle should be saved for optionals.

Wow! That sounds a bit much for level 4. The longest distance we will travel this coming season is about 4 hours away. The rest are either local or within a few hours from home. Can totally understand why you wouldn't want to go to this one!

The optionals from our gym went in 2010 and really liked it, but yes, I agree with everyone above...save it for optionals. If there are enough compulsories that want to go, I guess it could be a fun meet for those families, but the gym shouldn't require it for everyone.

Our gym is thinking of going in 2012, and my DD is only L4, maybe training L5 from September. But it's different for us - we have no local meets, and only maybe 3 regional meets per year. We like to go to one or two meets on U.S. soil, as that keeps us in touch with what U.S. gyms are doing and where we are in comparison, and it gives the girls a "big" meet to get experience with. We do fundraise for those kinds of meets, and many of us try to use airmiles for the airfare portion and we share rooms wherever we can to save money. But if you have other good choices nearer to you, then I don't see the need to do Orlando - maybe another year when your baby is older and might actually enjoy a day or two in the Disney parks.

Disney is so aggressive marketing these types of events. I'm sure your gym has been sold that this is a fanstastic opportunity for the kids. Sometimes it's easy to forget how much of a burden it can be for parents.

This is a great meet. It is well run and has great medals and trophies. It is at Disney! But, we are locals so for us, it is a good staycation. I agree with the others, traveling out of state for compulsary levels is a waste of money! Unless you are looking for a meet and a vacation I would stay close to home:)

We went to this meet a few years ago..and wouldn't go back...yes, it is Disney but it's a weak meet. The girls from Florida gyms seemed to do well but the overall meet wasn't worth the money and the trouble it took to get there.

Have to agree with previous posts. Our level 4 doesn't travel over 4-5 hours. It would be fun IF you wanted a vacation to Disney but with a new baby - no way!

Presidentail is a large meet. It's wonderful. Well organized!!! nice for the kids to go to Orlando. We love going to this meet. It is one of our favorite meets of the year. !!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back