Has anyone else had people assume you're going to the trials for YOUR kid?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mrs. Puma

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
This is especially amusing for those for are familiar with the journey of Puma Jr. I am up to FIVE random acquaintences that completely assumed we were going to the trials because Puma Jr was trying out for the Olympics. I'm not picking on these people, I swear. There are a thousand subjects I know nothing about, and they were just trying to be nice with their "Good luck!"s and "How's training for the trials going?"but it's hard to not chuckle when you realize they think your nine year old who barley mustered a 34 in L4 has a shot at the Olympic team...sigh...oh well!! Can't wait to see everyone this afternoon! :)

It has happened frequently - and there is always an awkward silence before I'm like, um, no. Both of my daughters did not magically qualify to try out for the Olympics. And then they ask "Why not?" And then there's an abbreviated version of the difference between JO and Elite, and why my kids went one way but not the other.

But you know, the Olympics is the only gymnastics competition that exists, so if they are gymnasts, they must be going for it, right??

not trials but for P&Gs I texted a friend that I was so excited, I couldn't wait to see who was going to go to trials. My friend replied, "good luck girl, you got it. kick some butt, I'd love to have an Olympian as a friend." Hmm okay. I mean there's always the chance, but as an xcel gymnast...[emoji23][emoji6]

Yeah - I got a few of those ;) - not about the trails specifically but if my DD was gonna "try out" this year cause the Olympics are soon.

I tell them DD isn't old enough (cause she isn't) and that even if she was old enough, she should be doing the same skills as those girls by now (DD is 12) if she WAS going to make it next time, and she's not (not even close). They usually look at me like I'm a pessimistic negative Nelli who has no faith in their child and no wonder she's not going to the Olympics when she has a non-encouraging mom like me ;). Haha.

A lady at our hotel asked if we were going to trials. I told her we (myself and 7yo dd) were going to watch. She looked at dd and said, "you must be really good at gymnastics if your mom is spending that much on tickets." And I'm thinking, no, I wanted to go more than dd did! Lol!

When studying abroad (in Britain) in my early 20s, people knew that I used to be a gymnast from me doing random handstands to get nice pictures when we were traveling around. I had several people wish me luck with my training and telling me they hoped they would see me in the 2012 Olympics. :D
Apparently, being able to hold a handstand, makes you an Olympic hopeful.;)

All the time! I also just say she's not old enough; she'd have to be 16. Any more explanation and eyes start glazing over!

It is one of the most annoying comments/questions for my DD, who is turning 16 this month (thus age eligible) and also the people who ask why are you doing gymnastics if you are not going for the Olympics!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back