Has anyone read this story ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The other thing I find a bit suspect is the fact they haven't been through any selection process?

Where there's an established team, they usually have to take part in national championships, selection training camps etc. How have they been selected for the Belarus team without going up against Belarusian gymnasts in a fair trial?

There's a us gymnast competes for the Philippines who had to do all that to earn her spot. How on earth have they just walked on to a national squad, displacing native girls?

In the uk, that's what is known as "well dodgy"

I find this whole situation totally disgusting. I've lost all respect for All Olympia's elite coaches. And I'm not letting the gymnasts off so easily. If they had any kind of empathy, they'd realize they are kicking Belarussian gymnasts off the the Belarussian National Team without any kind of due process. And to top it off...what are their parents thinking? Did they spend so much money and time on their DDs that they had to resort to this? Oh yeah, I need to re-read the CGM thread again...unbelievable!

Okay so imagine this, this scenario was suggested on another gym forum that is closed to the public.

The two US girls are strong enough to secure a spot at the Olympics. The BEL powers that be then award that spot to their best gymnast, who is currently a junior but age eligible for Rio. Now that would sure sting the US coaches/parents embroiled in this little drama. Let alone all the kids involved.

Oh what a tangled web we weave.

Along these same lines, sort of, how often does a gymnast from another country come and train in the US for YEARS, then go to worlds to represent their country?

Is this common? I'm betwixt as to whether this should be right or not - you come to a country for better training, for 7-8 years, then while still living in the US, you go to Worlds for your home country. Now, there's no one she's taking a spot from who stayed in that country, so that's not an issue like in this thread, but I'm just wondering if it's common. The other part of me says "if she can get here and get the training, with the support of her homeland, then why not?"...

Like I said, I'm betwixt. But something tells me it's done more often than I think, and I'm just a newbie hearing about this...

Reactions: sce
Competing for a country you have never set foot in and have no ties to is unheard of I think. I would love to know if anyone can dredge up another example .And the girls in their interview seem to think they are doing the country a favour. It is almost unbelievable.

most sports I know of require a minimum residency period, or birth/parent/grandparent before qualifying for the national team. The rugby world cup is taking place here atm and England have not qualified (Cymru am Byth). There are two English brothers who live and play in France and they were not selected as they are not resident, even though one of them is the best Number 7 in Europe.

I have never heard of anyone just walking onto a team like this.

Along these same lines, sort of, how often does a gymnast from another country come and train in the US for YEARS, then go to worlds to represent their country?

Is this common? I'm betwixt as to whether this should be right or not - you come to a country for better training, for 7-8 years, then while still living in the US, you go to Worlds for your home country. Now, there's no one she's taking a spot from who stayed in that country, so that's not an issue like in this thread, but I'm just wondering if it's common. The other part of me says "if she can get here and get the training, with the support of her homeland, then why not?"...

Like I said, I'm betwixt. But something tells me it's done more often than I think, and I'm just a newbie hearing about this...

It's always been done. Even back in the old days of the soviet union and the iron curtain, I remember GB girls going over there to train, and the coaches to learn. I think the longer timescales is a more recent thing, in the days of internet, more flexible jobs/relocation for parents etc.

You would still need to return to your home country for national championships, team selection camps etc.

It's always been done. Even back in the old days of the soviet union and the iron curtain, I remember GB girls going over there to train, and the coaches to learn. I think the longer timescales is a more recent thing, in the days of internet, more flexible jobs/relocation for parents etc.

You would still need to return to your home country for national championships, team selection camps etc.

Thank you! Yup, I'm just a newbie :)

I know I'm naive but surely now the full story is out and those girls realize what's happened they will step down.
It doesn't sound like they knew about replacing other athletes but surely once they read the press they won't go ahead.
And as for the adults involved, just disgusting, how can people be that self absorbed.

Go USA - Love my country and love that people have the resources and commitment to excel at so many things.

That being said, the FIG just recently made big changes going forward (and have already made big changes) in an effort to open the Olympics up to less powerful nations. I don't believe there was any intent to give these new spots to wealthy kids from powerhouse countries. This could potentially set up a horrid international trend that essentially affords the US multiple teams in multiple countries provided they have the proper influence.

At what point does FIG step in and say, yeah no, not gonna happen?

What will it take for Belarus to secure an Olympic spot? Is it based entirely on how the team does at Worlds? Is it based on the athlete's rankings? I'm shocked by this whole story.

Okay so imagine this, this scenario was suggested on another gym forum that is closed to the public.

The two US girls are strong enough to secure a spot at the Olympics. The BEL powers that be then award that spot to their best gymnast, who is currently a junior but age eligible for Rio. Now that would sure sting the US coaches/parents embroiled in this little drama. Let alone all the kids involved.

Oh what a tangled web we weave.
Maybe everyone involved knows this is exactly what is going on? That promising junior elite from Belurus will not get to compete in Rio if the senior Bel girls don't place well enough at worlds this year to secure an all-around spot for their country(I don't know their skill level, but perhaps Bel officials know they can't place high enough). So the Bel powers that be reach out to the All Olympia coaches who have girls that have a better chance to secure that future Olympic spot. The US girls get to compete on the International stage(something that would never happen for them in the US) before they move on to their NCAA careers and that talented junior elite from Belurus might get a chance to compete in an Olympic AA final. I am in no way trying to say that all of this isn't all kinds of wrong. But I would not assume that all coaches and officials involved in this transaction don't know EXACTLY what they are going.

They cannot secure a team sp
Maybe everyone involved knows this is exactly what is going on? That promising junior elite from Belurus will not get to compete in Rio if the senior Bel girls don't place well enough at worlds this year to secure an all-around spot for their country(I don't know their skill level, but perhaps Bel officials know they can't place high enough). So the Bel powers that be reach out to the All Olympia coaches who have girls that have a better chance to secure that future Olympic spot. The US girls get to compete on the International stage(something that would never happen for them in the US) before they move on to their NCAA careers and that talented junior elite from Belurus might get a chance to compete in an Olympic AA final. I am in no way trying to say that all of this isn't all kinds of wrong. But I would not assume that all coaches and officials involved in this transaction don't know EXACTLY what they are going.

Anything is possible at this point. I still would not think it was the right way to go about it though.

But as we all know, there is far too much politicking in gymnastics.

They cannot secure a team sp

Anything is possible at this point. I still would not think it was the right way to go about it though.

But as we all know, there is far too much politicking in gymnastics.
They couldn't secure a team spot but could secure an individual all-around spot for the country by placing high enough at worlds, right? What is it, top 24? With the two per country rule, those two girls could have an outside shot at that with the meet of their life.

Yes they do. That is the truth of it.

But how many other girls in the world could that apply to? There are many girls who could place top 24 in the AA at worlds who will not be in Glasgow. In fact the rest of the National Team certainly could.

If FIG allows this to stand they simply are opening the door to gymnasts, with rich parents and pushy coaches, to buy themselves "citizenship" and Olympic spots. That is hardly the essence of Olympic sport.

Gymnastics on the world stage will start to become a place where money speaks more than heritage and true team spirit.

I am sorry, I just cannot see any good in this.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back