Has anyone turned down IDP for their daughter and feels a little guilty?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ruby&jack

Proud Parent
We turned down a position for our daughter to do IDP in Melbourne. I still wonder if we made the right choice for her and us...she is now happily doing NDP2 at a great club. Has anyone else been in a similar position??

Yes and no guilt at all. We made the best decision for her, I did make sure she agreed to the decision so she couldn't come back with 'I could have....' at a later stage, but it wasn't the right program at the right time for her and 2 years later still very happy with that decision.

Good to hear.. my daughter is 6 and we felt that pulling her out of school early, missing birthday parties and myself and her younger brother being stuck 50 mins from home all the time was too much.
But l still cant help but feel guilty and wonder if we may the right choice. Like you said, l dont want it thrown in my face in later years... so hard :(

We turned it down at 6, and the opportunity to cross over is still there at 8. A particularly talented gymnast I know was scouted and offered a place at 12. If she is truly IDP material there will be a way for her to cross over later on, most drop out by IDP5 anyway....

Well, I'm from the USA so I shouldn't have really be replying here... But if your daughter is happy, why feel guilty, right?

Don't feel bad, many, many, many parents turn down IDP for their daughters and their children still have a wonderful and fulfilling time in gymnastics.

IDP will mean a commitment of a lot of hours, increasing quite rapidly at a young age. In most cases it also means changing schools, pulling out of school early and going late and the whole families life revolving around the gym. For many kids this is fine, for others it does not work.

With all the changes going on we don't know what will happen in the future. Gymnastics is changing a lot! I defiantly think she will get the opportunity again and Mabey you will be ready then!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back