Has anyone used Oscon?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

bigtiny

Has anyone here used the product Oscon to treat Severs Disease? If so, did it help and were there any kind of side effects?

Thanks for any info. anyone can share.

I did for bbb when she was about 11, it worked great. Within three weeks she was pain free after 6 months of pain.

If you search here you probably find the thread about it.

Has anyone here used the product Oscon to treat Severs Disease? If so, did it help and were there any kind of side effects?

Thanks for any info. anyone can share.
Not familiar with that medication. My daughter has had several bouts of Severs. We took her to a sports medicine doctor who prescribed stretches and exercises. She was over the condition in about 3 weeks. She was level 6 at the time and worked out 20 hours a week. Pain relievers helped with the pain but she really needed physical therapy and stretching to get her back to normal. She never stopped working out, but her coaches modified her workout to tumbling on the tumble track and rod floor to reduce the impact. Personally I would not depend on a pill to cure this condition.

It is not a pill, just a vitamin supplement. You can even "make" it yourself following the ingredients that are on the website.It is basically selenium and vitamin e, easy to research and easy to recreate at home. VItamins are medications, but this is not a steroid or an antiinflammatory with known side effects. I did my research very before trying Oscon, we are not a family of pill poppers.

My oldest, under the guidance of a sports therapist, was unable to tumble or vault for 6 months due to severs. Taking pain relievers in order to do gym is not something I would advocate either. BB also wore Tulis cheetahs and that helped a little, but not enough to return to gym full time. SAdly our gym does not have pits or a tumble track so the effect on her was great. Mine did stretching, strengthening and icing daily with twice weekly stops at the ST. It was only after three weeks of the vitamin supplement that we saw a difference. We checked with the Pediatrician first and he said that there is nothing in oscon that can do any harm.

My sister in law is a rheumatologist and she also looked at the product for me, she had no issues with it either.

After six months of restricted gym we were thrilled with the results. Maybit wasn't the Oscon, maybe it was, but it was worth a try.

Here are some liinks that DO NOT come from Oscon

http://academic.amc.edu/blog/index.cfm?mode=entry&entry=1F6C4990-E7F2-725E-ED87F1C4A0CF2E59

http://www.wellness.com/reference/conditions/osgood-schlatter-disease/prevention-and-treatment

http://www.naturalpedia.com/S/Selenium-effects.html

Last edited:
Thank you both for responding. My daughter has been diagnosed with Severs. She has Level 5 states in a week and a half and then will be training Level 6/7. She is wearing the Cheetah heel cup, icing twice per day, and doing stretches three times a day. She will start physical therapy as soon as her doctor can get it set up. She is limiting her activity to what is not painful for her. The doctor recommended that she not stop all gym or it would further tighten the tendon, so she is just cutting back. I am just looking into any and all options to help her heal (also, "heel" :)). Thanks.

After reading several threads about Severs, I think that this is what my son may have. He is a soccer and baseball player and after games he can barely walk because his heals hurt so bad. I am going to try the Oscon and see if it works. Thanks.

We might try this for Beth--can't hurt, right? Where did you buy it? I see you can order it online--is that the only place it's available?

It is only available online, but if you read the ingredients you can pretty much buy the vitamins at the drug store.

Thank you both for responding. My daughter has been diagnosed with Severs. She has Level 5 states in a week and a half and then will be training Level 6/7. She is wearing the Cheetah heel cup, icing twice per day, and doing stretches three times a day. She will start physical therapy as soon as her doctor can get it set up. She is limiting her activity to what is not painful for her. The doctor recommended that she not stop all gym or it would further tighten the tendon, so she is just cutting back. I am just looking into any and all options to help her heal (also, "heel" :)). Thanks.

I know why people are hesistant to give daily NSAIDs before workouts and such and I agree with that (and as an adult don't choose that for myself unless necessary). However sometimes it helps a LOT. One year I hurt my back right before states, and waited three days in pain hoping it would go away...by the time the meet rolled around I couldn't run to vault. We got some advil and by the time the meet started it felt better enough to compete...I should have been taking appropriate amounts prior to and things probably would have gone better. I'm not saying overdo it but I have found it help in a pinch.

Edit: I mention this because I'm not sure supplementing will have enough effects in the time before L5 state. I would limit workouts, unfortunate but hopefully she can work on sharpening up dance, etc and as long as she conditions the tumbling should be there even with limited work. But if the anti-inflammatory can help diminish some pain during the meet she won't feel like she has to hold back to do the tumbling and vaulting.

Last edited:
My daughter also has Sever's. We have been dealing with her second bout since just before Christmas. This time around I did order and try Oscon. After seeing the label I went to the health food store and bought a very similar product Vitamin E and Selenium myself. I also have started her on Omega 3 supplements because they are known to reduce inflammation.
I would encourage you to get the physiotherapy part started asap as this has been the most helpful for Corky. She has been getting acupuncture treatments at physio for the last few sessions and it has allowed her to go to physio every other week instead of weekly. There are some great threads available on CB about Sever's, I encourage you to read them. Best of luck to you and your daughter i hope she "heels" more quickly than mine has.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back