Parents has your coach help your child in the same level longer than should have?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

guest301

it happened to us.. she said DS(5) needed certain skills down first. After he got them she still didnt promote him. he was with her at BEGINNER level forever! He has perfect cartwheels, pinwheels, pullover, backbend, kickover on the floor - he is in the class where kids cant even do tuck roll on the floor. I talked to the coach ans she said that DS(5) isnt there yet. He does all the requirements!!!!! this coach went to coach summer classes and new coach came to teach the class. She noticed my DS (5) and told me she will send him to Advanced Beginner next week. So we tryed advanced beginner for a month now and that new caoch told me that DS already passed this level also - she said DS performs on Low Intermediate level now instead of Advanced Begiiner. He now works on his hip circles on the bar, back handspring and such. My question why wouldnt the first coach move him up??? he was stuck with her in that Beginner level! and it took him a month to pass Advanced Level...

Well I'm not a coach so this is just coming from the perspective of a parent, gymnastics is a marathon not a sprint. The basic skills are very important because they are the foundation that everything else is built upon.

As a parent it can sometimes feel like our kids are "stuck" at a particular level, doing the same things over and over. I can certainly remember feeling frustrated at the beginning when it felt like they didn't seem to be learning or trying anything new. Several years down the track I realise that it is excellent coaching practice to not rush, to make sure that a skill is learnt properly and completely before moving onto the next step... and that means that sometimes kids are held at a level that they seem to have mastered.

It took him a month to pass Advanced Level... maybe that was due to all the hard work, great coaching and time in beginner level?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back