Parents Having gymnast daughters is dangerous for me!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dani4

Proud Parent
This evening I was doing my physical therapy exercises (for my bad knees) in the living room, when my younger daughter (4 1/2) joined me. I was doing my pathetic little squats and she started showing me how she thought I should do them- and of course I can't resist a challenge from my 4 year old so I copied her as best I could. This only encouraged her so she did a bridge, and I tried to do one and couldn't believe how hard it was! The last time I tried it wasn't a problem- granted that was about 3 years ago. I just always assumed I would always be able to do them- I used to do backbends and kickovers as a teenager (untrained). Anyway I am stupid. .. and I kept trying and finally got my head off the floor (not pretty) and felt a little strain in my knee. When I went back to my squatting exercises there was a sharp twinge- I had to quit. Who knew a back bend could hurt my knee?

This is what I get for letting my ego take over. ..

I'm pretty sure it's minor and I will be ok in a day or two, but I have to get over the fact that my kids are doing things I can no longer do. There's still plenty I can do that is going to take them several years!

I have a splits goal for myself. I'm racing against some of the kids (they don't know they're involved in my race) and an impending birthday next year that will make me "old" ;)
There will be a big post here if I manage it! :D

Don't encourage your 4 year old to do backbends/bridges. This can cause fractures that can go unnoticed until they put an early end to her gymnastics participation years down the road.

A few years back Santa Claus brought my daughter one of those folding foam floor beams and Mommy thought it would be fun to try a cartwheel on it--after all, I could do a cartwheel on the beam just fine a quarter-century ago! Both feet landed on the beam, then slid off in opposite directions. It took more than a year for those pulled muscles to heal.

Another time, I tried "bridge walking" because my daughter was doing it during practice and I didn't think it looked very safe. I was right.

A few years back Santa Claus brought my daughter one of those folding foam floor beams and Mommy thought it would be fun to try a cartwheel on it--after all, I could do a cartwheel on the beam just fine a quarter-century ago! Both feet landed on the beam, then slid off in opposite directions. It took more than a year for those pulled muscles to heal.

Another time, I tried "bridge walking" because my daughter was doing it during practice and I didn't think it looked very safe. I was right.
Hahahaha. Lucky I'd just finished a mouthful of my food!

I can get up into a bridge (I'm not saying that it's pretty...), getting down from it is a whole other story!
I'll be leaving that alone for a while.

DD wanted me to stretch with her the other day. I said nope, you will be pushing and pulling on me like you do your friends. I can still do forward splits, but no backbends. Oh gosh I need that tummy tuck soooo bad! Lol

Reactions: COz

My DD once told me there was no way I could do a cartwheel. I'll prove you wrong, I thought. I used to be awesome at cartwheels! I'm sure they're still better than yours! Ended up with debilitating sciatic pain for over 18 months.

I have a splits goal for myself. I'm racing against some of the kids (they don't know they're involved in my race) and an impending birthday next year that will make me "old" ;)
There will be a big post here if I manage it! :D
Every year, i do my splits for the team - just for giggles.
The new girls never believe that i can do it (no matter how many veteran team members, parents, and coaches confirm it).
It is funny when some of them realize my splits are better than theirs - other than i cant point my toes or my leg will completely cramp up, lol.

These are so funny!

Once upon a time I could do the splits, up the wall, even, but not anymore.

And, the last time I tried a cartwheel ( a few years ago) the ground never felt so far away. It was not like they say with riding a bicycle.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back