Parents Headbands and hairstyles for workout?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Really

Proud Parent
DD is 9 years old with a small head and very fine, slippery hair. Currently I just put her hair in a ponytail before her 4 hour work-outs, and by the time I pick her up from practice her ponytail has collapsed and her hair is all over her face. I picked up some headbands sized for girls at Rite-aid-- they're like Goodie or Scunci or a typical drug store brand, but they keep falling off her even when I sewed them a little bit smaller. Coach, understandably, does not allow headbands if they keep falling off your head during practice. I was wondering if any parents on here have had luck with a particular brand of headband staying on through a long practice...? Alternatively, if anybody had any quick hairstyles that keep their daughter's hair off their faces for a long practice, I'd appreciate some detailed schooling here! I am NOT quick with braids, for the record, so my preference would be a headband for a quick fix to this problem! TIA! :)

My daughter has super slippery hair and will not wear head bands.

We do a double pony. I gather upper hair, close to face into a pony,then take that and the rest of hair into another pony.

Snap clips also help as well as really good pony holders.

Also you could try the a couple of tiny ponys with the thin elastic (the kind you can get at the dollar store, 750 for a dollar). We use those, and I actually just snip them out. Then pull tiny ponies into one.

Braids get easier with practice. :)

We have to buy the athletic headbands at sporting good stores- like Nike or Under Armour brands. Occasionally she will wear the drug store kind, but she has to put a snap clip on either side of head to hold them on so she prefers the athletic ones.

Idea without headbands:
Wet at least the front half of her hair> part in middle or side and make two small braids or ponytails using small elastics > THEN pull those back into a larger ponytail or messy bun using multiple bigger elastics. *Hairspray then optional.

section across the top, ear to ear. lay head on lap ( facing telly) and french braid from one ear to the centre, sit child up, ignore protests and continue french braid to other ear, braid down about 6 ", secure with small elastic.

Gather all the rest of the hair in a pony tail making sure there are absolutely son lumps and bumps or the demon child will erupt, add in braid, secure with 2 ponytail elastics. Shout at child that we are now late and to hurry up, go to gym.

Dd (8) has these headbands: https://www.amazon.com/Multi-Color-...ts=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin:4517612011.

They do not slip and she loves them.

My Dd also has fine slippery hair. I braid and put in a messy bun, and use several elastics. It doesn't look neat, but it doesn't fall out. I refuse to spend a lot of time or use a lot of gel or other hair product for normal practice. I'll do it for a meet, but not for every day practice. I'm also hair challenged, so a practice hair style must be able to be done in 3 min or less. Any French braiding is immediately out for me!!

Gel, hair clips, multiple hair bands to hold the pony. Or two ponytails. Alternatively, French braid with gel and hair clips. The snap clips are the best.

The Under Armour ones are great. And I agree, a little French braid practice is time well spent. This is usually what I do when I run. It takes me less than 2 minutes (lots of practice) and keeps it out of my face so I'm not constantly retightenting a ponytail. And product is your friend. Good luck!

I second the bun and done - if you must headband, the under armour with the sticky stuff on the back are the best.

I have the same issue with my kiddo. We use the silicon rubber ponytail holders. They hardly slip at all. I'll see if I can find them and post a link.

Just for sake of trying to be extra helpful, the things that keeps hair form coming out of my dd's ponytail is using multiple hairbands to hold the pony tail (one is not sufficient), along with some snap clips. She often adds gel and or hairspray too. With those her hair does not move.

snap clips:
images

She very rarely wears headbands but mostly because they look good not for keeping hair in place, it's difficult to keep them in at gym.

Thank you everyone for the super helpful suggestions! Duyetanh, DD is a level 3 right now, so it's probably worth it in the long run for me to learn how to French braid her hair. Orrrr... she could learn to do it herself when she gets sick of my ineptitude, which is what I'm hoping for! :) I tried the double ponytail for practice today, and it was a definite improvement! I will find some silicon rubber ponytail holders in the hopes that it will improve things even more, and also order her some of those under armour headbands people recommend.

And next on the Parenting Forum for newbie gym parents: how to make a solar oven in your car so you can serve hot meals on the way to practice! :D (No seriously, does anyone have any tips on feeding kids in the car?)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back