Parents Healthy Meals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

TumbleTimes4

Proud Parent
I am looking for some healthier options for meals and snacks for my gymmie (and the rest of the family too!). What are some of your favorite recipes, particularly breakfast and packed lunches and snacks? Also, what do you typically feed your gymmie on competition day or night before?

Hard to answer about healthier as I don’t know what you eat now. For my family I try to make our meals from scratch as much as possible, trying to ensure a balance of protein carbs and fruit/vegetables. Now with a gymnastics schedule this is tough to do. I plan ahead, knowing I have some e endings where I have more time to cook, also use my crock pot often. I always have on hand stuff to make some quicker meals too, though that often means some processed stuff.

Smoothies are a hit in our house, as are scrambled eggs and oatmeal with fruit for breakfast. As for lunch, My girls are salad obsessed these days, and take one to school each day. (either homemade, or the ones from Costco if it is a hectic week.) They also take a yogurt, bell peppers, berries, and hummus to school as a snack most days. Air popped popcorn makes it in their lunch boxes on occasion for that salty balance.

Reactions: sce
Breakfast: yogurt parfait-yogurt, berries (fresh or frozen) and granola, bagel/cream cheese, waffles ( we make extra to freeze), scrambled eggs, breakfast burrities (can also make ahead and freeze)
Snacks: cheese and crackers, fruit, nuts/cheese/dried fruit (I sometimes buy the balanced breaks), pretzels

Packed lunches: sandwiches, homemade pizza lunchabke (sandwich thins, sauce, sbhrddef cheese, mini pepperoni), wraps, cheese/crackers/lunch meat -all of these have fruits, veggies etc as well

Before meets depends on the time and kid. Early morning, whatever they will eat: smoothies, Instant oatmeal, cold cereal, mini-bagel and cream cheese. Later in the day meets I try to go with meals that give a mix of carbs and protein. My Ds likes a hot pastrami sandwich, pasta is always good etc.
Dinner the night before a meet: salmon, rice, and asparagus, or chicken, pasta and veggies

My kid eats whatever she has a hankering for, for breakfast. I just don't think there are breakfast, lunch and dinner foods. For those are the times of day you eat.

So she has been known to have, ramen, pierogis, tortellini, mac and cheese, potstickers, pizza, oatmeal, eggs, waffles, pancakes, french toast, bacon, bagel and cream cheese, cereal, cottage cheese and fruit, yogurt, fried rice, corned beef hash, beans and franks, meatballs, soup and leftover last nights dinner for breakfast.

Many of the above go in a thermos for later in the day.

If it is a really early meet she tends to eat lighter.

And for snacks I try to get in her a quicker carb and a protein keep her energy up. So egg whites with hummus, pasta and a protein. bagel and cream cheese, peanut butter and something. Grapes and cheese sticks, nuts, chicken leg (very portable), sliced deli meat.

My kid eats whatever she has a hankering for, for breakfast. I just don't think there are breakfast, lunch and dinner foods. For those are the times of day you eat.

So she has been known to have, ramen, pierogis, tortellini, mac and cheese, potstickers, pizza, oatmeal, eggs, waffles, pancakes, french toast, bacon, bagel and cream cheese, cereal, cottage cheese and fruit, yogurt, fried rice, corned beef hash, beans and franks, meatballs, soup and leftover last nights dinner for breakfast.

Many of the above go in a thermos for later in the day.

If it is a really early meet she tends to eat lighter.

And for snacks I try to get in her a quicker carb and a protein keep her energy up. So egg whites with hummus, pasta and a protein. bagel and cream cheese, peanut butter and something. Grapes and cheese sticks, nuts, chicken leg (very portable), sliced deli meat.
Egg whites with hummus?

i thought about a post like this. we are such a busy household, with another daughter in competitive dance, that i feel like our eating gets away from us and we head down a path paved with crap meals. lol

my kid likes milkshakes. so she gets one with lowfat milk and low fat vanilla ice cream and fresh strawberries almost everyday - it's more like a healthier version of strawberry milk. she eats a lot of pasta but also likes carrots and tomatoes. i've just told her she eats too much sugar and not enough protein so before practice tonight she had a little pasta and some roasted chicken and because everything she ate was filling, not as many of the empty calorie snacks. she likes steak tips so if that is what she likes for protein, i'll stock up. she will only eat egg whites and not scrambled. i wish she would eat eggs. they are excellent protein.

she also used to eat a banana before practice and her meets and we've gotten away from that. we need to get back into it.

she's hard to feed. my dancer is more open to better options.

tonight she took smart food popcorn for a snack. and i gave her a red gatorade. i am not a fan b/c of the food coloring and sugar and i've told her that. but she drinks mostly milk. she had milk in addition to her milkshake this afternoon. so i don't mind buying a 6 pack of gatorade every once in a while.

Breakfasts:
Once a month I make egg white cups in my muffin tin with various sauteed veggies and stick them in the freezer. We pop them out and microwave for 45 seconds for an on the go breakfast.
yogurt with granola, chia and extra walnuts, pecans or almonds
Bircher Muelsi made with Kefir
Hard boiled egg and fruit
Whole grain toast, avocado
Chia pudding
Protein pancakes made of eggs and almond flour mostly, also good for making in batch and freezing

Lunch
Cukes deseeded and then lunchmeat and cheese in the center like a sandwich
Lots of salads with protein in the form of left over chicken or steak from the night before, greens, varied veggies and a homemade viniagrette
pasta salad, we like to use quinoa pasta for added protein and a break from gluten... add a variety of veggies and some type of dressing (we try to mix it up so it doesnt get boring)
Soup in a thermos.. usually chicken rice or chicken and bean thread noodles in our house.. sometimes lentil
left overs

Pre or post workout snack
Activated whey shakes - the taste like a milkshake and provide great BCAAs. I change these up a lot sometimes adding veggies, or fruit.
Trail mix - I make this once every couple months by mixing all the things we like together trying to provide a good mix of seeds and nuts and a little sweet i the form of dark chocolate and cranberries...

Dinner -
We struggle with this because of long gym days so I love my crock pot and just couldnt do it if I didnt dedicate a day a month to cooking in bulk and freezing a lot of mains.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back