MAG Heavy feet, bad landings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
D

Deleted member 10727

My older gymnast (level 5) has always had a harder time with gymnastics and learning new things than his younger brother. He is keeping up in many areas, and surpasses his younger brother in form on most events, but he has no power behind him. On Pbars, he doesn't swing up to handstand, and bends his legs on dismount, for instance. He does have things like muscle-up, spindles on mushroom, pirouette on floor, etc. However, he can't seem to run well or fast, and his landings on things like front handsprings. Ugh. He runs on his heels, very heavy footed. He lands crouched, if he can land at all without falling. No matter how much help he gets with his running, he is not able to do it. He runs slow, heel first. I'm starting to wonder if he has some issues with his feet or maybe some special needs we haven't addressed, because he is scattered otherwise (not just in gym). He's a smart kid, don't get me wrong, but he has problems with retention and other things.

The first meet is in 2 weeks, and I'm worried for him. I can tell his self-esteem is flagging. He even has trouble with rebounding on roundoffs. He lands so incredibly heavy, even though the coach has helped him time and time again with pushing off his toes. He's had drill after drill, and private lessons, but nothing seems to help. Is there anything we can do to help him?

D is always told that he tumbles on his heels. I don't think he lands hard on everything, but he does tend ot use his whole foot. after some heel pain about a week or 2 ago, I had a Pt look at him. It seems he has inherited my flat feet, and actually pronates in a little, especially with the left (Where the pain was). We bought some inserts for his shoes that lift his arch a bit, and he has started some exercises. All of this has caused him to have weaker ankles and butt muscles (lol, I know. He did!). BEcause his ankles are weaker, he cannot land on his toes because he will be unstable. This is helping as the heel pain is getting better, although he still tumbles on his heels but not as bad as he used to. He has to be aware at all times to use his toes, when he runs, and everything. I think eh will get there.

I would maybe try a PT consult. Ds was fast and she knew almost immediately what the issue was!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back