Coaches Heel wraps.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Aero

Coach
I've seen a number of gymnasts wearing these heel wraps, and on every event except maybe vault. They are seen in the below pictures:
Erika_Fasana,_2010.jpg
erika-fasana-of-italy-performs-during-the-womens-floor-exercise-final-picture-id457113378
20150401%20Erika%20Fasana%20floor%20split%20Brussels%202012.jpg
Georgia-Mae-Fenton.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

apbmhi.jpg

I'm wondering what the heck these are. Are they used when gymnasts have heel pain? Or are they used to prevent heel pain? I've seen them used when learning bar releases too, I'm guessing as a safety measure. You can really see them well in the last picture of Georgia-Mae Fenton.

I'd also really like to know where I can get these, and what exactly they are. They seem like they would be useful preventative measure, and they are even allowed in competition.

Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

I believe they are just wrist bands dyed (with Teabags?) to make them fit the FIG bandage rules. I believe the Chinese were the first to do this around the 2000 era.

Yep they are wrist bands that are tea stained, very commonly used in the UK, sometimes they are used for heel pain, a lot of the time they are used as a placebo effect, they don't really do much a part from a little bit more cushion, unless you tape over the wrist band to give it support

So they are really just the standard double length wristbands, but worn over the ankle/heel? Are they effective for protecting heels on bar releases?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back