WAG Help a beginner: How long does it take to learn a handspring?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

katie

Hey guys! I am new to your board, I am from Europe (Austria) and I really admire the great gymnasts of your country! I hope I can find some help here!

I am flexible (oversplits and good back and shoulder stretches) and quite strong (10 hanging leg raises, a lot of push-ups, etc).
I can do a front walkover, a kickover, one-handed cartwheel, and a roundoff, I started gymnastics 4 months ago. I don't want to get really good on bars or vault, I just want some tumbling skills:

Front handspring
Back handspring
Front tuck
Back tuck
Aerial
Side aerial
Front aerial
Back handspring layout
And some combinations like RO BHS Back Tuck

I know that nobody can tell but what would you think how long it would approx. take me if I work hard and train 8 hours a week? Hope someone can help me :)

it varies per person. Some folks figure it out in a day, some take years. There really isn't anyway to tell unless I were the coach working with you to determine how close to having the proper technique you are.

It will be 7 months 2 weeks and 5 days.

Just kidding, no one can give you an answer to that question. It could be next week, next month or in two years.
In my opinion setting goals is great but yours rather indicate that you're not too familiar with the sport. Gymnastics is not just flexibility and tumbling. Through all the events gymnastics gymnastics asks for about every physical ability. That's what makes gymnastics, that's what makes a good gymnast. To be thinking about layouts at this point is utopic.

I'm not trying to take your ethusiasm away, I'm just saying: take one step at a time. Don't think about it in terms of when you will get something but where you want to go next.
Try to enjoy all the aspects of gymnastics and with the right attitude, coaching and technique it will come. ;)

Anywhere from six months to never.

Some of the skills on your list could start showing up in within the next six months while others will take longer, if you learn them at all.

It sounds like you've done pretty well in your first 4 months, so keep working hard and see where that leads. Meanwhile, enjoy your time with the sport.

It depends on the person I did a front salt back salt front and back handspring on my tramp at home first go but yet there are still people training them at our gym that have been there for years. Not very long if you are not scared.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back