Help/Advice with Injuries

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I

InThe Dust

My dd (10 y.o.) was diagnosed with stress fractures in her back (presumably caused by her gymnastics) a few months ago:(. She seems to be healing very slowly (if at all), despite being on a very restricted regimen for about 4 months (mostly exercises assigned by the physical therapist, so she doesn't lose all conditioning). Now, after 4 months, we were referred to a new doc who is suggesting we put her in a rigid brace for 3 months, which means she would lose her whole summer (gymnastics, swimming, any other fun activities). If this is what she really needs in order to heal, then that may be the price she has to pay, but I've heard & read so many conflicting opinions about using braces for this type of injury, that I don't want to put her through this experience if it isn't really necessary. A couple articles I came across even suggested that a brace would make her more prone to future injuries. :confused:

Any BTDT experiences (positive or negative) or suggested resources on this type of injury?

Thanks!

My daughter had stress fractures in her back and did have a brace. It was a rigid plastic brace that was molded especially for her. She had to wear the brace when not sleeping for two or three weeks, then had to wear it only at gym for another 2 or 3 months (of course, she couldn't do anything strenuous outside of gym). The doctor said "if she can physically do it in the brace, she's allowed to do it."

She did miss a lot of training and summer fun, but it was worth it!

Good luck!

I was out for 3 months (my whole summer) because of some broken bones and stress fractures. I broke all 10 toes, my left ankle, my right heel, and I had bone bruising in both my heals. I did lose some skills and I hated being away from the gym as well as my other sports, but I went into the gym and watched class and helped as much as I could. I know it will be hard on her but I know she will have some friends who stick by her side through the whole thing (cough maggiesranda cough :) ) for example, maggiesranda came to my house and watched movies and hung out with me and was a GREAT BFF! She was so awesome! It is a great time to catch up with family and friends :) If you need any ideas for things for her to do PM me and I'll help :)

Several concerns jump out at me. 1st you said she had fractures(hopefully a typo?) and no real healing in 4 mos. Obviously, the therapy and cutting back on her activities has not worked and you do have to look at other treatment. Has any MD suggested a complete physical to make sure there are no underlying causes for the slow healing and fractures. She is 10 and only has 1 spine to support her for the rest of her life, so if she has to wear a brace for a few months to facilitate healing then that may be the route you'll have to go. Yes, she'll lose conditioning and skills, but all of that will come back. But she needs to be healthy 1st. Spinal fractures are not to be taken lightly in children no matter what sport they're in. I hope this 2nd doctor can offer more of an explanation to you regarding her treatment. It is tough and nobody wants to see their child in pain or hurting.

well said

Several concerns jump out at me. 1st you said she had fractures(hopefully a typo?) and no real healing in 4 mos. Obviously, the therapy and cutting back on her activities has not worked and you do have to look at other treatment. Has any MD suggested a complete physical to make sure there are no underlying causes for the slow healing and fractures. She is 10 and only has 1 spine to support her for the rest of her life, so if she has to wear a brace for a few months to facilitate healing then that may be the route you'll have to go. Yes, she'll lose conditioning and skills, but all of that will come back. But she needs to be healthy 1st. Spinal fractures are not to be taken lightly in children no matter what sport they're in. I hope this 2nd doctor can offer more of an explanation to you regarding her treatment. It is tough and nobody wants to see their child in pain or hurting.

well said gym law mom :) I agree.

If you are concerned get a second opnion, and if nessesary a third opinion. When it comes to your daughters health it is always a good idea to have the opnion of more than one doctor.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back