WAG Help- Backwards issues!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmomlisa

Proud Parent
Hi
My daughter is a new level 7 gymnast. She has developed a new fear of doing anything backwards- backhandspring, back layout, flyaways etc. She’s a good gymnast and would like to continue. What are her options??

Given enough time and patience by all to let the mind heal, this may pass. However, if it doesn’t, as long as you have supportive coaches, she can still continue. Once a gymnast scores out of L7, it’s possible to compete without backward elements. This depends on the gymnast’s ability to learn and replace them with forward elements such as front handsprings, front fulls, toe on-front off dismounts, and their coach’s support and willingness to teach and allow this.

Given enough time and patience by all to let the mind heal, this may pass. However, if it doesn’t, as long as you have supportive coaches, she can still continue. Once a gymnast scores out of L7, it’s possible to compete without backward elements. This depends on the gymnast’s ability to learn and replace them with forward elements such as front handsprings, front fulls, toe on-front off dismounts, and their coach’s support and willingness to teach and allow this.
Thank you so much for your reply! I am really hoping that we are able to replace with forward elements. This really gives me some hope because she’s talented and I just dont see her overcoming the issue.

My DD currently only does forward elements because of blocks. She does also work on building back backwards tumbling by doing a few attempts at spotted backhand-springs or back walk overs at most practices. She did need to switch to Xcel though.

My DD currently only does forward elements because of blocks. She does also work on building back backwards tumbling by doing a few attempts at spotted backhand-springs or back walk overs at most practices. She did need to switch to Xcel though.
Thanks for the feedback. It’s comforting to know my daughter is not alone in this. It’s been heartbreaking and hard for me to understand. I’m going to explore more forward elements with the coaches. But I agree that there isnt many more options moving up the JO levels.

Hi
My daughter is a new level 7 gymnast. She has developed a new fear of doing anything backwards- backhandspring, back layout, flyaways etc. She’s a good gymnast and would like to continue. What are her options??
Hi no help but I can relate... Mom of a new L7 gymnast who is having backwards fear issues on beam.... SHe is old enough ( turning 10 in a few days) to work on her fears ( trying to understand them) ans has a very supportive coach. I think the fears are there since last year but show more since the going from 1 backwards movements to three...

Hi
If she wants to stay Level 7 and score out to Level 8, she does have options in Level 7 with supportive coaches.
Beam, she can do a Cartwheel-Cartwheel and a roundoff or dive cartwheel ... or just Cartwheel-dive cartwheel or Cartwheel-Roundoff. On Floor just take the 9.5 Start Value and do 2 front passes. Examples: Front handspring-Front Tuck. Front handspring-Front Pike. Front tuck-Front Tuck. Front Tuck-Front Pike. Front tuck stepout-Front Handspring stepout-Roundoff.
On bars, she could do a swinging 1/2 turn to face the low bar and swing back and do a front tuck dismount.

It would require her gym to allow her out score out though.

The other option would be to compete Xcel Diamond until she can work past the block.

Hi no help but I can relate... Mom of a new L7 gymnast who is having backwards fear issues on beam.... SHe is old enough ( turning 10 in a few days) to work on her fears ( trying to understand them) ans has a very supportive coach. I think the fears are there since last year but show more since the going from 1 backwards movements to three...
Hi thanks for your feedback! It’s so frustrating and it’s interesting to see on this thread how common it can be. It’s nice to get the support! My daughter is 13 and I just dont think shes even interested in getting over the fears. Your daughter is definitely a young 7 and hopefully has a lot of time to work through it! Good luck!

I feel like being a teen and if she really has no desire to move past them...she either needs coaches who are really flexible with skills and start values, or to go over to Xcel where she would have no problems working around things she doesn't want to/can't do.
Thanks for the feedback. Her coaches really worked with her last yr (level 6) in creating different options. I feel that level 7 may be challenging with creating new options.

If her coaches worked with her last year, that's awesome! Hopefully they will have some ideas for this year.
Yes! Last year she did a dive cartwheel on beam to replace the backhandspring. And on floor she did a front tuck roundoff back tuck (she was afraid of roundoff backhandspring backtuck pass). But now....she’s afraid of doing everything backwards (backtuck and flyaways). Ughhh!!!

Sometimes the mental toughness stuff can help. We have several girls at our gym that have done the Doc Ali web camp with success and Stacy Herman is great too you can find her on Facebook. Depends on the money and work you are willing to put in with those but they can be helpful in training your brain to think a different way. We also have one girl with a back tumbling fear right now who will only do it if the coach is standing next to her (doesnt need a spot though) so they changed her first pass to go along the edge of the floor instead across the diagonal and the coach stands next to the floor (which is allowed) This way the coach doesnt have to go on the floor which is a deduction. Good luck!

Sometimes the mental toughness stuff can help. We have several girls at our gym that have done the Doc Ali web camp with success and Stacy Herman is great too you can find her on Facebook. Depends on the money and work you are willing to put in with those but they can be helpful in training your brain to think a different way. We also have one girl with a back tumbling fear right now who will only do it if the coach is standing next to her (doesnt need a spot though) so they changed her first pass to go along the edge of the floor instead across the diagonal and the coach stands next to the floor (which is allowed) This way the coach doesnt have to go on the floor which is a deduction. Good luck!
I do follow doc ali on facebook and receive the auto emails as well. She has wonderful tips. Interesting about the tumblepass on the edge vs mid floor. Thanks so much for the feedback and support!

I know a fear issue post is somewhere on here... somewhere. From about a year ago I think

I know a fear issue post is somewhere on here... somewhere. From about a year ago I think
There probably has been quite a few. I dont think my daughter is interested in ways to overcome her fear at this point. So, I’m trying to determine what other options she has as she is refusing all things backwards. It started with the fear of backhandspring over a year ago. Now it’s flyaway on bars. And backtuck on floor. This is just devastating to watch her go through this

Hi thanks for your feedback! It’s so frustrating and it’s interesting to see on this thread how common it can be. It’s nice to get the support! My daughter is 13 and I just dont think shes even interested in getting over the fears. Your daughter is definitely a young 7 and hopefully has a lot of time to work through it! Good luck!
The fear of backward tumbling is very common but sometimes gymnasts are the only ones at their gym struggling so they feel like they are the only ones in the entire world with these issues. There are so many ways to deal with this yet each gymnast is unique and you have to find out what works for your daughter. Having a flexible gym is crucial. Not all gyms would allow for alternative beam series, tumbling passes etc. My daughter struggled with connecting two back handsprings at Level 4. Managed to get through compulsories and in Level 7 just didn't do the back layout requirement and took the deductions. In Level 8 she did a roundoff back layout with a 1/2 twist on the side of the floor so the coach could stand there like another poster mentioned. She is hoping for Level 9 this year but admittedly she is really 8 and 1/2. I think the deduction for not doing backward skills on floor is .1 (we had a judge come to our gym to assist with requirements) Her front tumbling is very strong so she relies on her strength in this area to carry her through. She will do a front vault this year. She was doing a series with a back tuck on beam and had it all summer until she had to take a couple of weeks off due to a concussion she got in September, now she doesn't have her back tuck again. We have had so many ups and downs, tried every possible method to help her self confidence and improve her ability to handle her fear. Ultimately it is up to the gymnast. She just turned 16 yesterday. She still has backward issues, but I let her deal with them mostly herself. Her coach and I work together to try to minimize her stress. As each competition season approaches she tends to lose skills. I am sure you have all seen this, over the summer everything is going well, they are getting their skills and then they get back in school and the pressure for competition season starts, and all of a sudden they lose key skills. Eventually mid way through the season they start to get things back.

Patience is a virtue with these fear issues and you really just have to sit back, don't put more pressure on them by asking when you pick them up every day if they got their skill, let them talk to you if they want, and let the coaches handle it. It is very hard to do this as a mom watching your kid struggle and not meet their goals or reach their potential, but ultimately it is up to them. There have been many times I think to myself, is this really the sport for my kid? The gymnasts who succeed are so strong mentally maybe my daughter would be better in a different sport where she would not have to worry about these fears? But as of now she still loves gymnastics. So I still support her in anyway I can. She is hoping to do college (as a walk on, lower level program) but I know this is a very long shot given her limitations and the fact she is only a Level 9 at 16. I get all that. But if the stars all align maybe she can make it. In the mean time I just try to support her, not add more pressure on her, and love her unconditionally. Hang in there it is a long and winding road....

There probably has been quite a few. I dont think my daughter is interested in ways to overcome her fear at this point. So, I’m trying to determine what other options she has as she is refusing all things backwards. It started with the fear of backhandspring over a year ago. Now it’s flyaway on bars. And backtuck on floor. This is just devastating to watch her go through this
That maybe so but what you are not taking into consideration is the source . In other words .... don’t stop the source and it’s not over yet. Next she will stop vaulting ... then stop casting and swinging through the bottom . So you may want to invest a little time into this..... I have seen this multiple times .

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back