WAG Help- Backwards issues!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter also has backward issues. In Level 7 she just took the deduction on Floor and figured out other skills. In Level 8 for vault she did a Tsuk and was able to manage that. Her beam series was front handspring roundoff, on floor she did one pass that was just a roundoff back layout with a half twist. She is now just starting Level 9 and is still working on all her upgrades. I believe she is not bothering to do any backward tumbling on floor and just taking the hit on start value but is trying to upgrade leaps etc. to get her start value up to 9.9. She is doing a front handspring front tuck on vault although she has not landed it yet but is getting there. Her beam series is the same as Level 8 but she is adding a front tuck during her routine, not connected to anything, she needs more upgrades on beam right now I am not sure what her start value is. She had a back tuck on beam over the summer but has lost it again so it is a constant struggle. On bars she is working on a double front dismount but does not have that yet. So she has made things work. Luckily for her she is a really good front tumbler. She had her first meet last weekend and went for all her new skills so I was really happy for her. Now she wants better scores so that will take several months. Hopefully by the end of the season she can get where she wants to be. I have learned to just let her be and let her and her coach figure things out. Of course that is really hard to do and especially at meets when she couldn't do the required skill and she was the only one in the whole meet who couldn't do the L7 backward pass, my heart would break for her every time, but we hung in there and she has moved forward despite her limitations on backward skills. So hang in there!!
It’s really nice reading all these replies, because it confirms we are not alone! Since I wrote this post in november, she has had 2 meets. She doesnt do what the other girls are doing, but she is competing with what she can do to qualify for level 7 states. Beam she is doing a cartwheel and roundoff. Bars she is doing 2 free hip circles in place of giants, and floor she is doing a front tuck, roundoff back tuck- taking the deduction instead of doing a layout. She is also doing a front handspring and pike. I’ve backed off and just supporting her while the coaches are taking over. She seems to be doing ok and taking it day by day!

Glad your daughter has found something that works for her! The stress is the worst! Sounds like you are doing a great job supporting her.

My daughter is about to compete her first Level 6 meet this weekend and we just replaced her back pass with a front pass this week (FHS step out FHS step out RO) when all of the sudden she quit even going for a RO BHS which she has been doing for years! (This was after doing the level 5 RO BHS BT in September!) We'll see how it goes. I know it might not score great but at least she isn't totally stressed out and upset after every practice. I'm hoping she might work in a BT or BHS as the third skill in the pass in the next little bit but the pressure was totally getting to her! We also had to switch to CW-CW for beam- we'll see if she gets the connection. Thankfully she loves bars and does well!

Glad your daughter has found something that works for her! The stress is the worst! Sounds like you are doing a great job supporting her.

My daughter is about to compete her first Level 6 meet this weekend and we just replaced her back pass with a front pass this week (FHS step out FHS step out RO) when all of the sudden she quit even going for a RO BHS which she has been doing for years! (This was after doing the level 5 RO BHS BT in September!) We'll see how it goes. I know it might not score great but at least she isn't totally stressed out and upset after every practice. I'm hoping she might work in a BT or BHS as the third skill in the pass in the next little bit but the pressure was totally getting to her! We also had to switch to CW-CW for beam- we'll see if she gets the connection. Thankfully she loves bars and does well!

I’m glad they found something that worked for her! The girl on our team doing that floor pass scored around a 9.4 at our mock meet so if it’s clean, it can still score well. Good luck to your daughter this weekend!! Mine has her second level 6 meet as well.0

I’m glad they found something that worked for her! The girl on our team doing that floor pass scored around a 9.4 at our mock meet so if it’s clean, it can still score well. Good luck to your daughter this weekend!! Mine has her second level 6 meet as well.0

Thank you! That is encouraging to hear! Good luck to your daughter as well!!!

That is the wonderful thing about reaching optional levels- there ARE other options than what most girls seem to do. Last year for level 6 my daughter could not do a backhandspring on beam, so she did a dive cartwheel. She did it well and actually impressed the judge at a particular meet because it was different than what is usually done. I love that we are all not alone and us gym moms can support each other!

My DD was stressing about things and we had a coach meeting and they kept telling her its called OPTIONAL gymnastics you know what that means...you have options don't get caught up in what you can't do. I think thats great advise for all and I love gyms that embrace that philosophy.

My DD was stressing about things and we had a coach meeting and they kept telling her its called OPTIONAL gymnastics you know what that means...you have options don't get caught up in what you can't do. I think thats great advise for all and I love gyms that embrace that philosophy.
So so true! I love that!

Sorry to hear your daughter is going through this. You have gotten some great feedback. I’ll just add couple extra thoughts.

At the core of it, she has an interfering thought/belief that is causing a response, creating emotions and feelings, that are impacting her actions. She is still the amazing athlete that was throwing back tucks a while back. She is not broken or abnormal. She has simply developed a belief that is not working for her the way she needs. Actually a pretty common thing. Fear is most likely at the root of it. Could be fear of injury, fear of embarrassment, fear of failing, etc. The problem is that it becomes an automatic response. And many times the athlete doesn't know where it is coming from or how it started. That is why it can be difficult to just practice and ‘work through’ tumbling blocks.

It is difficult to talk specifics, since interferences can be as unique as the athletes themselves, but here are a few general tips that you are welcome to share with her. Might help some.
1) Check internal dialogue. If you are consistently thinking or speaking negatively, that has an impact on your beliefs, and therefore your feelings and actions. When you catch yourself saying something that isn’t positive or resourceful, stop and tell yourself the opposite. Constantly tell yourself the story that works for you.

2) Mentally practice the move. Imagine perfectly doing it. Really put yourself there, feeling confident, powerful, smooth, all the things you need to feel. Be detailed. Rehearse it over and over in your mind for 1 min, several times throughout each day.

3) Before approaching a routine or the skill move, get present. Take some deep, controlled breaths and bring yourself to the here/now by focusing on your 5 senses. Don’t think about the past, or the upcoming routine. Just be present for a moment. A great technique to include with this is to make a short list of things you really love about gymnastics. Things that have nothing to do with the score or outcome, just details of what you enjoy about it. That gives something powerful and positive to focus on, and can help with naturally trusting your skills.

It will be a big shift if she can believe in her ability to change. Overall, it is just gymnastics and not the end of the world :) But, overcoming things like this can be a huge win for building overall self-confidence, determination, and resilience. If she really wants to beat this, she can do it! Hope all the best for her and for you!!

Sorry to hear your daughter is going through this. You have gotten some great feedback. I’ll just add couple extra thoughts.

At the core of it, she has an interfering thought/belief that is causing a response, creating emotions and feelings, that are impacting her actions. She is still the amazing athlete that was throwing back tucks a while back. She is not broken or abnormal. She has simply developed a belief that is not working for her the way she needs. Actually a pretty common thing. Fear is most likely at the root of it. Could be fear of injury, fear of embarrassment, fear of failing, etc. The problem is that it becomes an automatic response. And many times the athlete doesn't know where it is coming from or how it started. That is why it can be difficult to just practice and ‘work through’ tumbling blocks.

It is difficult to talk specifics, since interferences can be as unique as the athletes themselves, but here are a few general tips that you are welcome to share with her. Might help some.
1) Check internal dialogue. If you are consistently thinking or speaking negatively, that has an impact on your beliefs, and therefore your feelings and actions. When you catch yourself saying something that isn’t positive or resourceful, stop and tell yourself the opposite. Constantly tell yourself the story that works for you.

2) Mentally practice the move. Imagine perfectly doing it. Really put yourself there, feeling confident, powerful, smooth, all the things you need to feel. Be detailed. Rehearse it over and over in your mind for 1 min, several times throughout each day.

3) Before approaching a routine or the skill move, get present. Take some deep, controlled breaths and bring yourself to the here/now by focusing on your 5 senses. Don’t think about the past, or the upcoming routine. Just be present for a moment. A great technique to include with this is to make a short list of things you really love about gymnastics. Things that have nothing to do with the score or outcome, just details of what you enjoy about it. That gives something powerful and positive to focus on, and can help with naturally trusting your skills.

It will be a big shift if she can believe in her ability to change. Overall, it is just gymnastics and not the end of the world :) But, overcoming things like this can be a huge win for building overall self-confidence, determination, and resilience. If she really wants to beat this, she can do it! Hope all the best for her and for you!!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write all this. I definitely have gotten so much support since I posted this. I realized its all in her mind and only she can decide if and when she will be ready to work with the fear. I have been giving her space and she has been a much happier gymnast. Shes not feeling as much pressure anymore.

My DD suddenly developed mental blocks with series on high beam (and then it's like the lack of confidence spewed into almost all events). This is after doing BHS on beam as a Level 5, Level 6, BHS BHS as a Level 7 & 8 (so 4 season/years of doing them and doing them well without any issues/injuries etc.). She's not great at communicating but finally came to me (I don't watch practice and usually get the one word response as to how practice was - good or fine) and said she needed help to figure out what was wrong and maybe it was time to quit. I emailed her coaches and we scheduled a meeting. A plan was set in place and slowly they are working through. Happy to say she's back to doing her series on beam after only 3 weeks since the meeting. Her bar (she suddenly was scared of her clear hip) routine is back. First meet is this weekend and she's only doing beam and bars. Those are the events she's always excelled at. The other two events seems to be coming back nicely and the goal is to do them at the next meet but taking the pressure off and stepping back on all 4 helped her mentally - I think it just took her stress down to a manageable level. I wish we were traveling to see all 4 events as I'm fairly confident she can do them well and safely but I'm playing my role as supportive parents and bill payer in the hopes she's happy and continues in the sport.

My DD suddenly developed mental blocks with series on high beam (and then it's like the lack of confidence spewed into almost all events). This is after doing BHS on beam as a Level 5, Level 6, BHS BHS as a Level 7 & 8 (so 4 season/years of doing them and doing them well without any issues/injuries etc.). She's not great at communicating but finally came to me (I don't watch practice and usually get the one word response as to how practice was - good or fine) and said she needed help to figure out what was wrong and maybe it was time to quit. I emailed her coaches and we scheduled a meeting. A plan was set in place and slowly they are working through. Happy to say she's back to doing her series on beam after only 3 weeks since the meeting. Her bar (she suddenly was scared of her clear hip) routine is back. First meet is this weekend and she's only doing beam and bars. Those are the events she's always excelled at. The other two events seems to be coming back nicely and the goal is to do them at the next meet but taking the pressure off and stepping back on all 4 helped her mentally - I think it just took her stress down to a manageable level. I wish we were traveling to see all 4 events as I'm fairly confident she can do them well and safely but I'm playing my role as supportive parents and bill payer in the hopes she's happy and continues in the sport.
My daughter did a flawless roundoff backhandspring backtuck as a level 5. Then, as soon as the season was over she stopped the backhandspring and hasnt done it since. I just dont understand. Shes afraid and is too scared to do it again. She’s 13 years old and has competed 2 meets so far as a level 7. Her coaches have been wonderful in creating different options for her to work around her fears. I also usually got 1 word answers about practice or nothing at all. It was frustrating but I gave her some space and allowed her to work it out and embrace other alternatives. I dont know how long my daughter will continue but I too hope she continues. Lots of luck in your daughter’s first meet!

My daughter did a flawless roundoff backhandspring backtuck as a level 5. Then, as soon as the season was over she stopped the backhandspring and hasnt done it since. I just dont understand. Shes afraid and is too scared to do it again. She’s 13 years old and has competed 2 meets so far as a level 7. Her coaches have been wonderful in creating different options for her to work around her fears. I also usually got 1 word answers about practice or nothing at all. It was frustrating but I gave her some space and allowed her to work it out and embrace other alternatives. I dont know how long my daughter will continue but I too hope she continues. Lots of luck in your daughter’s first meet!
First meet is over. She got 1st on both events she competed. Made for a happy kid! Hopefully all 4 events next meet in a few weeks. These mental blocks are mind boggling ---for me! These meets stress me out!

First meet is over. She got 1st on both events she competed. Made for a happy kid! Hopefully all 4 events next meet in a few weeks. These mental blocks are mind boggling ---for me! These meets stress me out!
That’s so awesome congrats! I forget, what level is she and what state are you in? We are NY

Reactions: cmg

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back