Help finding jeans to fit my daughter!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

shelovestoflip

Proud Parent
I hope I'm posting in the right place...couldn't quite figure out if this fits here!

It's that time of year and my daughter has outgrown every pair of her jeans from last spring.

She is so tough to fit these days and I'm guessing many of you gymnast parents have similar problems! Gymnast thighs are tough to fit apparently!

She is 12....weighs about 75 pounds and is about 4'8". Last spring, she had jeans from Old Navy size 12 (I think slim but not sure) as well as Justice stretch 'jeggings' both in 12 and 14....they seemed to fit the same!

I randomly happened upon a sale at Abercrombie Kids...their jeans were 14.95! Getting rid of last year's styles. I bought 10 and 12 regular. 10 she couldn't get over her thighs. 12 fit but were too low waisted. Thankfully she got that!

Today we tried 00 at Delia's just for kicks as you get a $10 gift card just for trying jeans on!! The 00 just about fit, though she complained the thighs were tight when she sat down. Also, they were too high waisted. I'm guessing this is because they are a junior cut and she has no hips yet. Mind you I believe a growth spurt is on the very close horizon!

Sorry for my long post but if anyone else has suggestions, they would be appreciated! I guess she is somewhere between the girls and juniors but not fully in either place. This may prove to be a challenge when school starts because she can only continue in jean shorts for so long (jean shorts are perfect...no thigh problem!)

Thanks!

I don't know about 12-year-olds but for my DD9, the adjustable waist is our BEST FRIEND when it comes to shopping for jeans. She's tall and has those thighs but a teeny tiny waist. By the time we get 'em long enough, the thighs are good but the waist could hold two of her. LOL

Adjustable waist and skinny jeans are my dd's best friend. I'm not sure what size your dd would wear, but Children's Place works really well with my dd. They go up to size 14. Good luck!

My daughter is also 12, but a little taller 4'11" about 85 pounds. Just bought her a pair yesterday and the 12 slims at Abercrombie fit her perfectly. They are usually too pricey, but right now all their jeans are half price. (Hope that didn't sound too much like a commercial, I promise I am not on their payroll!)

Levi's "Relaxed fit" or Loose fit if they make them for girls. I ran a lot growing up and had the issue where each of my legs was bigger than my waist. Loose fit jeans fit normal. My daughter always just wore her's tight in the legs. When she was in the gym she was 4'6" and 92lbs with a tiny little waist

I just bought the Delia's jeans for my 14 yo. She got the 0's. She was so excited that they actually fit her! Jeans are tough with the thighs. She got 2 pairs. They were buy one get one 50% off and they were giving a $10 gift card if you try them on. I agree with Shawn, adjustable waist is a gymnasts best friend. Last year, I told my dd she was probably the only 8th grader wearing adjustable waist pants to school!!

Abercrombie runs really slim so I'd shy away from there...Old Navy has a "plus cut" that is bigger in the thighs and has worked for my daughter (I do have to take in the waist but she can get them over her thighs)

O.K. I need to see if a Delia's is out my way. My DD also has the teeny tiny waist, muscular thighs and also a rear (she's now 16!). And of course she's now extremely fashion conscious as well. NOTHING.. Jeans, shorts... fits her right. Thank goodness they have "jeggings" and they are in style!

I take the same sizes as your daughter so hopefully I'll be of some help! Jeggings are your BEST FRIEND EVER! I find Old Navy and Justice usually fit pretty well in the thighs (and she can always wear a belt like I do!) American Eagle is a bit expensive but 00 might work for her.

My DD is 11 and she usually wears a size 8 or 10. From abercrombie she is wearing a 10 slim....the thighs are a bit snug but most have a little bit of stretch to them. BTW....I buy most of her clothes from ebay. Also, they have a great clearance right now online and here is a link to a coupon for 25% your purchase (in stores only) til Aug 6th. abercrombie kids

I really don't have a ton of suggestions, but I just wanted to commiserate with you! We are just beginning to have this trouble with my DD. She's 7, 48" tall, just about 50 lbs, and is all muscular thighs. To add to it, she is long-waisted and has short legs. So, it's a bear to find jeans, and oh, does she love jeans!

She has seemed to have some luck with Gap jeans. You can get them a bit lighter weight with some stretch. Granted, DD is only a size 6 yet, so perhaps things change with the bigger sizes? They "fit" her thighs, but I am at least able to pinch some fabric. ;)

Also, not sure which dept your DD shops/fits, but I know the girls dept at Target just clearanced out their Circo brand jeans (which were the ONLY ones DD liked before) and now carries a larger selection of Cherokee. While perhaps the brand may not coveted by a tween/teen, it may be worth it to try them. We tried the relaxed boot cut style on DD and I think they'll be ok on her. They fit her growing thighs, lol. Again though, DD is a peanut yet, so I guess individual results may vary.

While I am glad to know we are not alone, I say it still stinks a little!

I wouldn't buy a new brand or size online for jeans. I get Express jeans because they have several different cuts and also have an option for short people!

O.K. I need to see if a Delia's is out my way. My DD also has the teeny tiny waist, muscular thighs and also a rear (she's now 16!). And of course she's now extremely fashion conscious as well. NOTHING.. Jeans, shorts... fits her right. Thank goodness they have "jeggings" and they are in style!

Have you tried any of the jeans that come in "curvy" style? They're made to be bigger in the butt and thighs, but smaller in the waist. They're the only jeans that fit me right.
ETA: I usually can find them at GAP.

A teammate of my daughter's gave her several jeans that she had outgrown and they fit perfectly. Reading your post gave me an idea for a booster club fundraiser- we have a very large team, we could do a consigment clothing sale at the gym as many of the girls have the same shape and the same trouble finding clothes...

For those in junior sizes, I've been really successful with Southpole brand jeans, available at JC Pennys. They seem to be cut roomier in the thigh and butt, but still snug enough in the waist.

My DD is 12 as well...however she is 5'4"!! We found Abercrombie to fit her the best...she LOVES Lucky but they are $$$$$$'s
Abercrombie often has a $10 off $40 or something like that. They also do a 1/2 off store several times a year. A few weeks ago they had jeans on clearance for $6.00!!!
Good luck I know how hard it is....trust me!!!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I took my DD to Delias today. The jeans fit her WONDERFULLY!!!! They were having a promition of buy one at regular price, get the second pair for 20.00. They were also giving out 10.00 gift cards for just trying on a pair of jeans. So, we bought 1 pair for 49.00, got the second pair for 20.00, less the 10.00!! So, I ended up paying 60.00 for two pairs of jeans. Still pricey... but they FIT!!!!

Old Navy came to the rescue! Their jeans are on sale this weekend only (so they say!) for $10 a pair (girls sizes) She fit into a 14slim...the thighs are perfect (though I may not put them in the dryer!) For $10/pair, I was thrilled and debated about buying the next size and putting them away....but who knows how she'll grow! Thanks for all the great suggestions!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back