Help for front splits?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mariposa

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
My DD is 5 and is in a developmental class that meets twice a week for 1.5 hours. She loves it. She is currently frustrated because she can't do her front splits. She easily does the side/middle split, but can't get the front split.

Are there stretches she can do at home to help her with that? I am sure she eventually needs them as I see them done in the level 4 floor routine when the team girls practice. Her coach wants her to move to team (she said team, though I think she meant pre-team since they have pre-team there) as soon as she turns 6 (8 months from now).

They don't seem to work on it much. They always stretch in the straddle position, which for my DD, is the splits, but they don't work much on the front splits. I have noticed that most girls can do one or the other, not both. Is this normal?

Thanks! She is frustrated and I want to help her, but I don't know how. I am probably the most unflexible person I know. :D

Off to post an intro thread finally. LOL.

I think the best way to get the splits is to do them everyday and holding them longer than usual. I've also noticed that most of the girls have a good front split leg and a bad front leg split. My dds good split is her right leg :) I'm sure someone will come along and be more help with their advice:D

Last edited:
i think just stretching more, outside of class is all your dd can do. i'm a L7/8 and my splits are horrible! but, if she's at home and not doing anything, than suggest she sit in her splits for a few minutes on each leg while watching t.v. or something...it'll help her flexibility a lot, and that'll help tons at the gym.

I'm going to try to explain this as best as I possibly can. They're called vertical splits and you do them against a wall. One foot is on the ground, with your foot right next to the wall. Your hands are also on the ground, and your stomach faces the wall. Your other leg goes right up against the wall(as far as you can anyway). I hope that's comprehendable. Also oversplits are very helpful, but difficult. Single oversplits are done with the front leg on some sort of elevated surface(couch, stair, mat, etc.). Normal splits from there. Double oversplits splits are more difficult; both front and back legs are elevated. Like everyone else said, holding them is good too.

Last edited by a moderator:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back