Help i'm scared!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Today i was practicing my back layout half twists and i landed on my head.
I was recording it at the time and got it on camera, my brother edited it and put it on youtube , He liked it when i got hurt so he kept replaying it at the end.

YouTube - Attempting a back layout half twist

Anyway now i'm really scared to do them again, and i was wondering if you could help me to get over my fear, ( i'm pretty sure you guys have all had this happen to you before)

PLEASE HELP!

First piece of advice:
DO NOT WATCH THAT VIDEO AGAIN.

Second piece of advice:
TELL YOUR BROTHER TO TAKE THAT VIDEO DOWN.

The more you watch yourself crash and the more you hear from other people who have seen your crash, the scarier it will be.

As for how to get over the fear itself, go back to basics. Do a ton of plain old back layouts.

Don't do them at home anymore-- do them with proper supervision. Also, you probably shouldn't do layouts on your home tramp either-- you're whipping back really hard. Home trampolines are not meant for hard skills; they're meant for bouncing. They're not the same shape as "good" tramps at the gym, and the springs are a lot different (worse), too.

Dear Gymnasticsobsessed,
Do you attend a gym? Are you being coached at the gym if you attend? Please don't try to learn skills at home. You need proper instruction. The first thing I noticed in the video is you aren't using your arms to lift you properly. A coach would tell you that. The arm lift on takeoff at the same time as the rebound is the first part of the skill. To make the layout rotate properly the arms must be brought inward towards the chest after lifting for twisting or back towards the hips for just a layout. You need to perfect a good layout before ever trying to twist it. That video was scary. I hope you take the advice here from the others who responded and NOT attempt to learn these skills at home! You will get over the fear of this disaster with proper coaching at a gym. I hope you take this advice. Please! Don't watch that video anymore. Go back to basics, get them perfected and with proper coaching go from there. That is the safe way to learn gymnastics.

I didn't even watch the video (I make a policy of never watching crash videos), so I didn't realize you were doing this at home.

I agree with the previous posters; backyard trampolines are absolutely NOT a safe place to work skills like this.

I would say that it's a bad idea to flip AT ALL on backyard trampolines, though I suspect that would be about as effective as telling college students not to drink beer, so I won't bother. I will, however, say this; if you MUST play on backyard trampolines, stick to skills you are 100% comfortable with. Nothing new. Nothing that you are even the slightest bit unsure of. Nothing that you haven't already learned properly in a supervised setting.

I am really not trying to be rude but your layouts don't even look that good, it really doesn't seem like to are ready to add a 1/2 twist. please get some real coaching and soon you will be ready to try it again.

I agree with everyone who has posted already. I once had a bad crash on bars at a meet, got it on tape and watched it a million times over because people wanted to see it. I now have issues with tap swings, and flyaways are becoming nearly impossibe because I have developed such a death grip on the bar from being scared. I don't try to, but it just is second nature because in the back of my mind I'm still scared. So I repeat: DON'T WATCH THE VIDEO!

thankyou to all the comments
i'll try not to watch it again but my brother keeps playing it ><
i do go to a gym and i do layouts there too, i also find them easier on the gym tramps.
I dunno i just like learning new skills at home, today i felt scared doing layouts on there which i always do with ease :(
I think i should have a break from back flips on my tramp at home for a while and leave it to the gym till i perfect them.

I'll just do my RO BHS on my tramp now
Thanks again

im glad you decided to not flip them any more on your own tramp. keep working at them and don't give up! Use the mental training! (if ya don't no what that is, private message me!) Best of luck!

Okayy I did not watch the video because I get terrified of skills if I ever see someone crash on them. lol. anyways from what i have read you were doing this at home. you really shouldnt do any tricks at home until you have them 100% perfectly consistent and safe at gym. Also do not watch the video again. It will only make it scarier. If your scared at gym to now go back to just back layouts until you are super comfortable with them and then ask a coach to spot your half twist. Hope this helps. :)

That same exact thing happened to my on my full...i was doing it on a home trampoline. Now i am scared to even do a half...so i just stopped twisting on a home tramp. At first, i was scared to even to a back layout again (i was afraid my brain would want to make me twist). So i stopped twisting and didn't even do back tucks at home, and now (about 2 months later) i am doing back layouts perfectly again :)
so don't get discouraged...it will come back eventually, just don't do them on a home trampoline...we have both learned that the hard way :)
good luck, tell me when you get your half back!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back