HELP!! level 5 question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

W

WGGCgymgurl

i am a prep op gymnast in Ga. & my coach came to me tonight and asked if i would be interested in doing level 5 in the summer. i was VERY excited at first, because she said that would mean alot more hours in the gym and i could spend all day everyday in the gym, I LOVE IT!! but then i got to thinking... i am turning 15 in january. our gym doesnt have a level 5 team right now.. but all the level 5's i've ever seen were maybe 10 or 11. i would love to do level 5 but i think it would be discouraging to never get to compete with anyone my age. what it the average age of a level 5 gymnast? are there any level 5 gymnasts my age in GA? would i have anybody to compete against at all?

PLEASE HELP!!! =/

Most of the girls at my gym are about in 7/8th grade. i definately think you should stick to prep opt though because it is way more fun to do different routines instead of the same thing over and over again... i would feel awkward being the oldest one in one level (for now im the only one on preteam :() but whatever you choose good luck!

yeah. that is a good thing about prep op. but, she said i have a better chance of moving up if i go to level 5. i was supposed to move up last yr. but one of our coaches quit so they couldnt have a prep 2 team. so they said if i want to move up this is my best bet. but i dont really want to be the only one competing in my age group because that's no fun. =/ thanks for the help though.

Im not sure the average age of a level 5 gymnast, but at my gym the girls are anywhere from 7-13.
you wont be competing with very young athletes, like 7 or 8 year olds, because they split competitors into age groups. for level 5, i think you'd be competing with girls at least over 12, (not sure the exact age..may be older).
I think you should definitely go for it!

good luck!

I say if you want to compete level 5, go for it. You will likely be competing with girls 12 and up. I think that at the State Meet you would be competing more against girls closer to your age as they usually break it down by birthday.

Here is some inspiration for you. Go for what you want!

YouTube - My Gymnastics Journey

thank you all sooo much!! and thanks mariposamama, that video was such an inspiration!! i think i am going to do level 5 because it gives more time to do what i love!! and all the comments about how there are girls my age in level 5 is very reassuring!! thank you all!!:)

You would probably be competing against people ages 12 and up, like mariposamama said, but if once you moved up to level 6 (if you were going to do that and not go back to prep op) then you would be competing to girls closer in age to you. I'm in level 6 and we have one girl who is fifteen, one who is fourteen and two who are thirteen, as well as a few younger ones. But don't let age stop you, if you want to move to level 5, then just do it.

Our youngest level 5 is 9 years old and our oldest is 26 years old. It doesn't matter if you are not the same age as the others, you will still find plenty of older girls compete level 5 from other gyms. It tends to be a cultural thing. If a gym doesnt have many older kids they tend to have none, while another gym may have lots, because they tend to stick around more if there are others their age.

My daugther was 13 competing level 5 last year. They definitely break the girls own into age groups... there were some 14 and up; and well as 15 at up at the State competition. Here are my videos I've posted covering her level 5 season as well as one level 6 routine. If you love it, for for it!

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

If it love it, then you should do it!

I wouldn't worry about your age. Some clubs put meet results on the their website. If you look up, you may see some of the ages or some of the age break-downs. But I don't think it matters. My daughter is 11 and is a 2nd year L5, so sometimes the age groups are 11 and up, but we would never think negative of a 15 year old.

The level 5 state meet was held at our gym in December. The Senior E age group had 26 gymnasts and I know at least two of them were 14, if that helps.

if you love gymnastics and want to level 5, dont let your age stop you.

the judges wont judge you on your age, but they will judges you on your skill and talent.

good luck!

I was a 15 year old level five. I then moved through the levels and competed level seven optional when I was 17. If you love it, who cares about the age? I've seen seventeen year old level fours before. If you love it do it as long as you can- I'm 25 and I'm going to be going to one of my first level nine meets ever next weekend! You're never too old if you're heart is still in it.

I was a 15 year old level five. I then moved through the levels and competed level seven optional when I was 17. If you love it, who cares about the age? I've seen seventeen year old level fours before. If you love it do it as long as you can- I'm 25 and I'm going to be going to one of my first level nine meets ever next weekend! You're never too old if you're heart is still in it.

that reminds me. i used to be the one, if not the oldest and one of the tallest at all my competitions ive done!

That is fantastic! I'm so glad to hear you've stuck with something that you're passionate about! You go!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back