Help Me! Back Tumbling Fear

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

Catya

I do my bhs and back tuck on the trampoline and on a mat all the time but I just can't do it out on the floor! :eek: I feel like I will hit my head. I feel like such a wimp too, since I can throw fronts when my form is worse on those than in my back tumbling. I feel like everything will be alright as soon as I get over it and just throw some back tumbling on the floor! I did a bhs on the floor once when a coach stood next to me but I can't have someone stand next to me forever. :ashamed: I keep thinking about trying it at the park since my gym is on break right now. Anyone else suffer from Back Tumbling Anxiety? How did you get over it? :sigh:
:gloomy:

Are you bringing your knees up to your chest fast? Can you do just a standing tuck jump, NOT a back tuck, bringing your knees up fast with your arms over your head? Grabbing your legs on a back tuck will impede your rotation. NOT good. If you have the strength to do a strong standing tuck jump bringing your knees to your chest FAST with your arms over your head, that is good. The thing to remember is this....a standing tuck jump does NOT include rotation so you don't jump backward at an angle. A back tuck does include rotation so you MUST on take off jump back and up. A good drill is to do standing back tucks from the edge of a pit into a pit. If you can do that well, mark the distance of your BHS and do a BHS to the edge of the pit and a back tuck into the pit. Once that feels good, put a crash mat in the pit. From there try RO, BHS, back tuck on the floor with a spotter. Be patient. Don't sacrifice safety to get a trick quick. It's hard to break bad habits. I hope this info helps.

You might want to work on back limbers on the floor or ground (its a slow back handspring, really), back handsprings on floor with a rolo under you, cartwheel swingthru back walkover (to get your brain into the connecting part) and if you are able to put a sting mat or panel mat down on the trampoline or tumble trak to make them harder/less bouncy surfaces, and do the tricks on there, it might give you more confidence. The mat in the pit like LL said is a good idea also. There is no shame in having a spotter help you move skills to the floor, its just when it goes on for weeks when you are doing the skill alone that it's a problem. Things CAN happen when you try to move from bouncier places to harder ones, which is why you are afraid. A spotter will be able to let you know that you are good....which most likely you are already, but better safe than sorry. The grass is even less bouncy, so I don't think thats a great idea.

You are lucky in a way that you are not scared on tramp or tumble trak..I had a going backwards issue for awhile where I lost all my back tumbling than I had on the floor, even on tramp and tumble trak. I got it back by building back in baby steps like I explained above, reassuring myself that I could do the step before, and its just a little change. I forced myself to take one new small baby step each week. Otherwise, I knew I would be stuck forever and it was silly because I had the physical ability to do it.

Thank you so much for your responses, LittleLady and GikiGirl! I feel better about my back tumbling issues now. You're both right. I'm better off safe than sorry.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back