WAG Help me fix this roundoff backhandspring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ivyagogo

Coach
I can see that the problem starts with her hurdle. She lands her roundoff in a deep squat. She bends her legs and her arms in the back handspring. She undercuts. Basically everything is wrong with it. She is very flexible and has a gorgeous front and back walkover. This is a real problem though. I have been trying to break it down for her and have been putting her with the group that is doing robh drills, but she is pretty upset about it. She "can" do it already and wants to be in the group that are moving through two back handsprings and back tucks. As you can probably guess, we have the same problems with her vaulting.

How can I help her fix these problems?

Take her back to roundoff-rebounds...
work those... then work the rebound so she goes back (onto the vault stack). You can also work on stretching out her standing BHS. If you have a colored panel mat, you can use the colors to show her where she IS landing and where she SHOULD BE landing.

The roundoff was the best part of that really...is she flexible in her shoulders or her back? Can she do a good standing back handspring?

I recommend bouncing/jump forward BHS on tramp and BHS fall to stomach. Fall to stomach first. Then the next thing is bounce BHS with same form, then two BHS on track.

Lol, The video didn't even show up the first time I replied. I was offering ideas from description only, :)
I still think what I said plus what @gymdog said will help. Good luck.

She is also ducking her head, and piking over in the BHS. With kids like this, I have had success spotting them in "slow-motion" BHS and freezing them in the correct position when their hands hit. Also standing BHS to hollow push-up position may help. She may need to do those on an easier surface, like downhill (cheese), or off of a spring-board, TT, or mini-tramp (with soft landing surface) etc.

So she pushes off her hands and lands flat on her stomach, arms over her head on the trampoline? I just want to make sure I do it right. We have been doing flatback drills too. I have also been stopping her in the middle to try and fix her. As for her standing bhs, it's just as wonky. Her roundoff is actually getting quite a bit better. She used to be very crooked.

I don't do it on a trampoline just a resi. They jump back to handstand and go flat on their stomach. After that she has to get a good standing back handspring rebound on tramp/track.

Push-up position they put their head out. Going flat to stomach forces extension. Going to a long position is good too , but very difficult. It appears this child has some issues with body tension on the skill so going to a long position would probably not be the first progression to try. Doing a bridge with elevated feet and jumping over to a long position is always good.

Take her back to roundoff-rebounds...
work those.......... then work the rebound so she goes back........... (onto the vault stack). You can also work on stretching out her standing BHS. If you have a colored panel mat, you can use the colors to show her where she IS landing and where she SHOULD BE landing.

The idea of working the skill so the normal motion is to move mass into the next segment of the series is a good one. My approach is to drill them into positions that make the next small portion of the skill begin to move weather they want to or not. Watch the video frame by frame and see if it looks like her body is falling into the next action or is being prodded to move into the next action.

So notice as she contacts the floor during the push into the hurdle, landing her left foot at the end of the hurdle, landing her right leg as she prepares to kick her left leg, and the moment she pushes into the round off with her right leg. Come up with solutions to parts where you see that she's making her body move forward instead of moving her body to compliment the momentum created from her run and hurdle. My first inclination is to teach kids to fall in the direction they tumble and try to move their body parts to keep up with that energy and to add to it where possible. The first drill I use to teach them to fall into tumbling (they call it tumbling for a reason?) has been posted before, and your welcome to it if you want to use it. I can dig it up for you if you can't find it through the chalk bucket search tool.

At 3 secs, as she comes out of the round off, her hands are only just coming off the floor when her feet are landing - she is very piked, not hollow at all. I can't imagine being able to bhs from that position, she must be quite strong.

I agree, work the parts of the round off, the fall, the kick, arms by ears etc until she can snap out of the round off in a hollow shape and keep some momentum into the bhs.

Round off needs to be taken back to formula.

Enter the floor like a front handspring with hands parallel and shoulders open. At the very last moment turn the second hand.

BHS to prone is a good drill. I've seen this as BHS to stomach drop or pushup position with head in and the shoulders more open than a pushup. It's basically a hollow support on floor which sometimes I like to call the "speedbump."

That and a lot of HS snapdowns off a panel mat or however you want to do them.

IWC- I had to smile when I read your post. I showed the video to my 7 yr old, who very excitedly told me, " She's not falling back into her backhand spring!!! She's landing like this!" Insert hunched over gymnast.

A couple other things, she does not keep her arms by her ears as she transitions form round-off to back handspring. As she raises them to her head they are bent and remain that way through the backhandspring. Work the round off snap down, get her to hollow with arms up and straight.

IWC- I had to smile when I read your post. I showed the video to my 7 yr old, who very excitedly told me, " She's not falling back into her backhand spring!!! She's landing like this!" Insert hunched over gymnast.

Jack and Jill went up a hill to get ready for the biggest tumbling pass ever.......

Maybe they should have trained a little harder???

Thanks for the advice. These are all things I've been telling her already. I like the drills. We will get started tomorrow. Yes, it is amazing that she can even pull a back handspring at all out of that roundoff.

Lots of good drills and suggestions here, but at the end of the day I would have to say she is very weak. Especially in the shoulder girdle. This weakness is compounded by the fact that she isn't looking at her hands, and that they are turned in too far, which is the perfect combination for a BHS that looks like that. Lots of shoulder shrugs, HS push ups, core strength, and plyometrics to go with all the above mentioned drills. Keep at it, and good luck.

Yes, she is weak but she's only a L3. I didn't feel like saying that again because it should be my signature by line here.

However, I also find her RO needs to be fixed more than anything. The strength and power will come but a poor RO is a poor RO.

She's got to reach with both hands by her ears stretching as far as she can on that hurdle. Notice how she's putting her right hand down less than 2 feet away from her right foot? She's got to stretch it a lot further on the first half of that round off to be able to get it to snap over the top faster.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back