Help me prepare my son for tryouts!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My ds 7 loves gymnastics really wants to go to class more than once a week. His sister (4) is in an advanced class and goes twice a week. Boys team tryouts are Friday. I really don't know anything about men's gymnastics. My son really enjoys his rec class, but I think he is fairly average as far as his skill/abilities. The boy's classes don't have the same "path" options as the girl's side. I'm guessing that if he did ok in tryouts they would place him in a pre team class? I know their men's program is fairly large. I always see the boys working out but none that look to be as young as my son. What will they look for at tryouts? Any insight? If he doesn't make it (I really don't think he will) I'm going to sign him up for an extra rec class.

I am only a parent but when my son went to team the gym looked more for a coachable kid and willing parents more than skill/ability. That's not to say he didn't need skill/ability but he didn't have to be the superstar either. He was 5 or 6 then, now he is 20 and has been assiting coaching the boys team since he was 16. Now he is one of the people looking for the new boys. He too says that yes he looks for potential skill/ability but a kid and family that is willing to put in the time and a kid who will listen and work as a team member is a big factor.

One of the biggest things our coaches look at before moving a kid from rec to level 4 (our pre-team) is the ability to listen in a group, follow directions, and work hard. I am sure there are some skills they are looking for too, but honestly, being on level 4 is a lot about being able to listen and do what is asked. We don't have tryouts, boys are just moved as they are ready.

I would say for him to just go out there, try what they ask, focus and listen well.

Tell him to go out there, listen to what they say, do his best and have fun. Tell him he might get asked onto team, but he might not. If he doesn't, and he wants to be on team, tell him to ask for advice on how he can work towards what they're looking for.

I'm the parent of a young female gymnast, but I think these things apply regardless of sex. I also know I'm repeating a lot of what others have said, but here's what we've told my daughter and it led to a pretty successful first season.

1. No crying unless you're hurt. It shows poor sportsmanship to cry when you do poorly. Emotional control is important when competing. As a very important correlary, if you are really hurt (not sore), tell a coach immediately.

2. No whining. Period. If a coach says it, you do it. We, as parents, will address problems with a coach. The gymnast's job is to listen to their coach.

3. Treat everyone in the gym with kindness and respect. This includes competitors. No negative comments about anyone else.

4. Have fun and smile. If you don't have a smile in you when you're doing gymnastics, get out.

5. Prepare to compete. We define competing as doing your best to win. If you don't win, it's okay. But you must try to win.

6. Be the hardest worker. Treat every rep (especially in conditioning) like coach is watching. Do it properly and NEVER cut corners on a drill.

7. NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Hope some of that helps.

This is all great advice! I will go over all this with him. Gymnastics is the only sport he has truly shown an interest in so I'm really hoping he does well!

Work hard, work hard, work hard and form a community of friends! Check out this funny video [link removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, he decided not to go. We talked and watched YouTube videos and he said he just wants to stay in his "regular class" and have fun! That's fine by me!

Your ds is a mature 7 year old to make an educated decision like that. Obviously, he can still enjoy gym and has many years ahead of him if he changes his mind about team. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back