HELP! Mental block right before first meet!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I really have no idea what to do right now. I guess I am just kinda freaking out. My first USAG level 4 meet is this week Saturday and I am having a mental block with the ROBHS. I have had this skill for a year and I was just starting to add another BHS to it. Then one day at the end of practice when I was really tired, I tried to do one and had a really bad mess up on the roundoff and fell on my back instead of doing a BHS. Basically I just didn't have enough energy to do it and I shouldn't have tried. Well, this happened about three weeks ago and ever since then I haven't done the skill without my coach standing next to me or "Spotting" me. When I try to do it on my own I just freak out and my brain won't let me do it. It's really frustrating because I have done these many times and they were getting really easy for me. Now my meet is 4 days away and I have one more practice until then and if I don't get it I have no idea what to do. Should I just try it at the meet (if I dare) or just do a roundoff and then a standing BHS, because I really don't want to have spot at the meet. Also, does anyone have any ideas on how to get past this block? I have already tried visualization but it doesn't work when I actually have to attempt it.

Thanks so much!

-Floorlover14

I hear you. I'm a level 4 USAG gymnast too. My first meet was November 21 and I know what its like. I had the same problem with my ROBHS and shoot thru on bars. Do them on the tumbe trak, then add a blue mat onto it. It makes it more like a floor. Oh and also your coach can stand next to you in the meet and you wont get deducted. You only get deducted if they spot you. Hope this helps! :) :huge:

I was a level 4 gymnast, but now in level 5, but why was your choach having you work on 2 BH? You only have to do 1, and is not nessacary for level 4. Fisrt off, just say, are you scared? If this is teh case, dont think of it like, that, i did the exact same thing, fell on my back, cuz i told my self i couldnt do it. you DO NOT have to do 2!!!! YESSS YESSS go for it in the routine, DO NOT stop between the RO and BH. thier could be a point of dedution, i have had issues with my arms, popping in different places, and if it happens it happaens, but definatly go for it. just work hard, but nothing wastes more energy than worrying. just tell your self you can do it, i always had spotts during practice, and even in warm up before the meet, and always landed it with out a spot! good luck write more if u still need help

The reason we were adding the second backhandspring was because I had been doing one for almost a year and it was getting boring. Plus, we are uptraining level 5. Thanks to both of you for your encouragement. My gym doesn't have a tumble track so I can't do it on there but I will probably just have her stand next to me at the meet. Thanks again.

I will keep you updated!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back