help! mental block!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Help me, please!
I have a mental block on my backhandspring on beam! I just can't go for it, although I know I will nail it if i could just throw it. How do i break my fear? (I have had it for about a year now) Thanks.

My DD has gone through this one and off for years....as have most of her gymnie friends over the years. Always best to find a solution with your coach on board with it but here a couple methods most have had success with:
1: Do skill on floor line over, over, over till your muscle memory is locked in.
2: Use count in your head like "1...2...3...Go" to condition your brain to respond on cue (Thanks for that one Dr. Ali).
3: Use low floor beam once ready to start thowing and when moving to high beam see if coach will let you use a big resi mat under it 4 a while.
Just some thoughts. Good luck on it. Sometimes it takes a change to get a break through:rolleyes:

Start slow and work up! Use a line on the floor, then a low beam, then stack up the mats on the high beam and gradually remove them!

Sometimes the best thing to do is just to forget about it for a couple of training sessions and go back to it after a weekend maybe with a clear head. You have to believe in yourself- your coach wouldn't ask you to do it if you couldn't!

Good luck :)

Thanks guys! I have had this for a year, lost it and got it back, and now lost it again. It is so frustrating! I just need to clear my head.

I agree with what the others have posted I would also suggest you ask for a spot as well and use extra mats as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back