WAG Help! Need a new mindset!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

Mack_the_Ripper

Ok, so, I've been really down about my gymnastics lately. Coming into the summer, I was very excited about getting to compete level 8 next winter. In May, I already had almost all my skills and just needed to perfect them and make them more consistent. I worked really hard all summer, practicing extra hours (25-30 hrs/week) and generally pouring a lot of effort into my skills.

But they didn't really get better or more consistent. I have been able to conquer some beam fears, but my tumbling is worse than it was in May, despite at least an hour each day drilling my tumbling passes. My vault (hand 1/1) is inconsistent and my form is not good. My pirouettes on bars have gotten worse. What gives?

I can't stop thinking - I don't always want to be the worst optional gymnast on my team, I want to learn how to tumble properly, I want to learn a more difficult vault, I want to have a spectacular floor routine someday (I'm a good dancer, so my obstacle is tumbling). But I graduate next spring - I'm never going to get the chance. I'm not ready to give up my dream. I don't know what to do. I cry all the time at home, at the gym, at school. It is so frustrating to me that I have worked so hard on all 4 events and I still can't measure up to my teammates who skip half of the practices. Can anyone help me come to terms with the impending end of my career?

Why does it have to be the end? Are there any gymnastic clubs or teams at your college? If not you could always look for a local gym to go to. Everyone has ups and downs, and competing L8 is definitely something to be proud of. And don't worry about your teammates. Sure it's frustrating they can skip practice and not seem to struggle for it, but since you can't change what they do, why stress it? And I see you're state champ on BB, that's pretty impressive too. ;-)

I am not optimistic about my post-high school opportunities. It's unlikely that I will be going to a college that will have a gymnastics program I could participate in. Like I said, I am barely a level 8. Not exactly NCAA material.

You never know. You can attend a college with a club team rather than an NCAA team. Or you could go to a school that's a lower division, whose team is comprised of lower level gymnasts than the big name schools.

I think what you need to figure out is why after all those hours training you noticed such little improvement. Did you really not improve much, or are you not noticing your own improvement? If you really haven't improved, then have a chat with your coach and see what they recommend. Maybe they can try a new coaching technique. I know I did best when my coach explained the physics of the skill to me. But everyone learns differently. So talk to your coach and see if the two of you can come up with some strategies to try that will help you improve more quickly. And also never skimp on the stretching and conditioning. Ask your coach for what conditioning and drills you can do specifically to help with the skills you are struggling the most on.

It's not uncommon to have a stretch of time where you're at a stand still temporarily. I know it can be hard to get the motivation to work through it when it feels like your time is limited before it's too late, but just stay positive and remember you are doing this because you enjoy it right? And you have no reason to think of it as the end of your career, even adults are competing these days!

~Katy

Ok, so, I've been really down about my gymnastics lately.....
I can't stop thinking - I don't always want to be the worst optional gymnast on my team.... I don't know what to do. I cry all the time at home, at the gym, at school. It is so frustrating to me ....I still can't measure up to my teammates who skip half of the practices. Can anyone help me come to terms with the impending end of my career?

As an adult that continues to work though depression I beg you. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE see a counselor, at school at your church somewhwere. More than just a trusted adult, a trained counselor or psychologist will help you deal with your emotional struggles. Your words show me that you are trying but you are fighting your head more than your skills. Pelple can and will help you, but you need to ask for it. If you have not talked to your parents show them your post. It is not normal for most people to cry all the time and get stuck in there thoughts. I care, others care but we cannot help you online, on a chat forum. So again PLEASE PLEASE talk to someone! You do not have to feel like this. You can come to terms but others can help.

Mack, I always look forward to your posts because you seem to have such a good head on your shoulders. Truly, you are the young woman all of us moms hope our girls will grow into.

You are approaching a time of big change and it's normal to be freaked out. I'm sure that you will find a way to continue to be involved in gymnastics (club, coaching, whatever) if you decide that's important to you. And ultimately, who do you think will come away having learned more from their gymnastics experience... a girl who works her butt off every day and falls down and experiences setbacks and keeps working her butt off anyway, or one to whom it all comes easily? I know everyone probably would rather BE the girl to whom everything comes easily, but which girl will be more prepared for the challenges life throws at us? Which girl would an employer rather hire?

If you are truly crying all of the time, as txgymfan says, talk to someone. Your guidance counselor at school would be a good place to start, or your family doctor for a referral. And, of course, your parents. I would really really really want to know if my daughter was feeling the way you are. Really. Even if the conversation feels akward or embarassing.

All the work you are doing is really not for nothing. When my girls were little, sometimes when they hit a milestone in one area, they actually slid backwards in some others (learn to walk and all of a sudden they're not saying as many words, or whatever) and I have seen the same thing to be true in gymnastics. DD will make some progress on floor and all of a sudden starts losing skills on bars. But they do come back, stronger than ever, because she keeps getting stronger.

(((Hugs))) to you. It will get better. I promise.

Mary

Every time I see an important thread like this and decide that I must reply, I will see that Mary has been there first and has written exactly what I would have written. So first, great job MaryA for always "being there" on this forum in a constructive, sensitive and wise way.

Second: to Mack: Since I have been reading and/or participating here on the Chalk Bucket I have always been so impressed with your posts, many times thinking to myself, "No way is this a teenager writing!" Your words and stories show a maturity way beyond your chronological age. You will go far, with or without gymnastics.

Now, addressing that. Maybe if you re-framed the dialog in your head from one in which you question what gymnastics will do for you in the future to one in which you see what it is doing for you now (I have to work hard at doing this all the time in my role as parent to a young, passionate gymnast -- who is not the most naturally talented girl in the gym.). Clearly, you appreciate the sport in all of its highs/lows glory. You are probably the healthiest and strongest young woman in your school with a work ethic that kicks butt. You are probably not at the mall or on Facebook too much. You probably have a second community (outside of your family and school) of coaches, friends and teammates who support and care about you.

Go with that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back