WAG Help on kip-CHS??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kassgymnast_

Gymnast
So I have a CHS perfectly fine.. on LB. Haven't really thought about putting it on HB yet because i don't need it. I came really close to getting it today and I don't understand why i can't get it. If i didn't have a knee injury though I might've been able to get it. So basically my kip is fine. At the beginning of bars my chest wasn't going over enough so I got that part but we fixed it. Then when i finally got it correct, my hips came right above my shoulders and my feet were so low however like almost touching the bar (they did once). When I fell down (if i didn't pt my hips back on the bar) it looked like I was trying to do a stalder. I'm not sure why my legs are doing this. help??

Videos are helpful for stuff like this. I remember seeing a video of routines you posted a while ago, so I took another look at it, but you're not trying for HS in it. In that video the big error I see is that you're dropping your feet down towards the floor too fast as you kip. You want your legs to be in a pike position in front of you at the end of your kip - otherwise, it's going to be really hard to cast. When you do a cast by itself, you swing your legs forward before you push them back for the cast, right? So when you do it out of a kip, you need to finish the kip with your legs in front so you can swing them.

I assume you're trying a straddle kip cast since you said you wind up in a stalder thing. I can't really picture what you're describing. You can't get back to front support on the bar when you fall out of a straddle kip cast? Or you can, but if you don't put your hips back on the bar, you wind up swinging in a stalder-type position under the bar?

It looks like you need to keep your feet in front of the bar before you cast up like ayyyrial said. You are also trying to push away too soon. Keep your shoulders over the bar until your feet are over your head. Once you get it you can play with the timing so you don't fall over.

I see a few things I would correct. Give yourself a little more poser for your kip by holding your shape in a hollow a bit more on the jump and extending more on the front glide.
Once you get up in your support, you need to be more in front of the bar with your legs and shoulders. I agree with Squid, keep your shoulders over the bar longer, you are dropping back.
As you are straddling up to the handstand you should be over over the bar, instead you are behind it.
Think about it this way, when you are doing a kip, you need to be above the bar in order to pull it towards you, if you are below it you have to muscle us, or you just push away. The same goes for the cast handstand, you have to be above and in front of it, or you will just push away.
It's not horrible lol, just needs a little work, you will get it.

I have this but I didn't swing back into the stalder position. this started on thursday. this vid was from about a month ago https://instagram.com/p/BRH3Jf_he4a/
1. When you bring your legs to the bar after the glide, try to have the bar more near your shins than your feet. (basically, feet to bar = kip FHC, ankles= Kip cast, shins= Kip CHS.
2. other posts are correct. you are trying to cast too early. A cast handstand is very similar to a press handstand. Your shoulders should be over the bar more.
3. Ride the shape of the kip longer. (pretty much the same as #2). If you keep the pike until you are going a bit more over the bar, opening the pike will almost send you to a handstand just from the shape changes.

Good luck

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back