WAG Help on learning a Shaposh (Shaposhnikova) on bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

stxrdusty

Coach
Gymnast
My dream skill on bars is a shaposh; however, I don't have a coach available. I'm on my university's club gymnastics team and we unfortunately don't have a coach.
I have a consistent free hip to handstand, so I was wondering how hard it is to learn the throw technique for a shaposh? I've seen it taught with a coach "throwing" over the low bar onto a resi mat and eventually the gymnast do it themselves (and then move onto doing it on the set with a spot and then by themselves). I can set up adequate mats for that, but I've only ever done the throw technique a couple times with a spot.
I know I shouldn't just try it by myself, so what other drills would be good for learning the throw technique? Then when I go home for winter break I can have my old club coach spot me on the throw.
Thanks. :)

It's one of my favorite release moves, and I have several girls training them right now. It's good you have your FH to HS, but I think it's easier if you have a really good giant blind. There are lots of good drills that I use, and many don't require a heavy spot at first, and later not one at all. But at the end of the day, you will need an experienced coach to help spot and guide you through the process. If you are able, lots of giant blinds and jump over a low bar onto a resi with your back towards your blinding arm. (if that makes sense) ;)
Good luck, hope you can show us some video one day! :)

It's one of my favorite release moves, and I have several girls training them right now. It's good you have your FH to HS, but I think it's easier if you have a really good giant blind. There are lots of good drills that I use, and many don't require a heavy spot at first, and later not one at all. But at the end of the day, you will need an experienced coach to help spot and guide you through the process. If you are able, lots of giant blinds and jump over a low bar onto a resi with your back towards your blinding arm. (if that makes sense) ;)
Good luck, hope you can show us some video one day! :)
Thanks for the reply!
Why is having a good blind helpful? Understanding is part of the key to doing, so now I'm wondering. Does it have to do with keeping the shoulders open and bouncing the bar, because I guess that would make sense. I'm actually working on blinds right now, and I'm hoping to get my blind full soon.
Could you explain the jumping over the low bar drill a little more please?

i'm confused. are we talking about a Shaposh or a Shush?

Ooops, thanks Dunno, you do 'know'! ;) Hadn't had my coffee yet. Yes, the OP was referring to a Shaposh, and I must still have Shushes on the brain from last night!
To the OP, you are on the right path with a good FH. Not too sure without lots of spotting (2 coaches at first, if available) for that one...Do you have a tramp/bar station or drills for learning to throw the bar for Tkachevs?

I don't know for sure actually, I'll look into that the next time I'm in the gym. I've tried working on Tkachev drills into a pit before, so I'll keep working with that. I've done a drill where you do a back extension roll down a cheese to the edge of the pit and then stop your feet and sit up so you end up sitting in the pit. It's really more of a tkachev drill because of the sitting up part because it forces you to turn over, but I've tried thinking about it in a Shaposh kinda way with more shoulder-through backwards than turning over. It turns out interestingly, let me tell you. Actually, that drill can go a lot of ways including to your head in the pit. Ha!

I learned Tkachev, which I guess is fairly similar to a Shaposh because of the shoulder part and going over the bar. I also started learning Shaposh, but didn't really have the time for it this year. Maybe next season! ;) Anyway, the tumble track bar drill really helps get the timing with the shoulders. Also, I don't know if you've done this (or maybe it's been posted earlier), but do free hips as a timer for the Shaposh. In your free hip, try to get your shoulders over the bar (without badly arching or bending arms) but don't let go. Then when you feel ready, do the same thing and let go! Get a spot if you can, or have someone else move a mat under you so if you hit the bar, it doesn't hurt. This worked for my Tkachev!

Good luck and best wishes!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back