Parents Help Please

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sorry I haven't been around much. Since school started the schedule has been so crazy we are at sport practices Tuesday - Sat and with work it doesn't leave me much time for the computer.

I am on a quest right now for DD's halloween costume. She wants to be a Peacock. Yes a peacock. Pottery Barn Kids has the costume but I really don't feel like paying PBK price if you know what I mean. So I went shopping and picked up the toule to start working on this. Well I need a Peacock colored long sleeve leo. I didn't think it would be that hard to find. Well guess what???? I can't find one I searched for hours last night. I am just in shock. I looked at dance, cheer, gymnastics and no dice. I found a tank style and if we were going to Disney that would work perfect but it could be chilly here for halloween so I really want long sleeve. I am not one to layer for Halloween with turtlenecks and such. So I am trying to achive a replica of this beautiful costume but of course the main thing I need is eluding me. Can anyone help. I am looking for a child small or possibly a med.

Here is what I am trying to make.
img29m.jpg

Thanks Shawn. ;)

I can do one for you but I'd need to source fabric first.

You might try just looking for a long-sleeved t-shirt at Target - I picked up a couple for my girls last year in pink & purple for about $6 and they are nice!! If you lined the tulle skirt with satin or something else, she could just wear tights underneath and you wouldn't have to worry about a leo.

I just finished my oldest's costume - she's going as Glinda the Good Witch. I'll tell you what though - I'll take sewing on lycras and stretch velvets ANY DAY over sewing satin & tulle! :D

OMG I love love love this tutorial. I was thinking of doing her skirt like this and it confirmed that is my best way. As for the leotard. I am really wanting the sleek look of the leo instead of a tee. I am again going to try to get this sorted out. I may have to do the tank one I found and use a nude long sleeve underneath if I get too stumped. I think I am off to make the skirt tonight. Wish me luck. I am doing her's in black, peacock, gold, and hunter green. I think it will look peacockish.

Sounds great! Be sure to put up a picture when you finish the costume!

What about a white long sleeve leo and try to dye it to the color that you want? You don't even need to buy the RIT dye.....go to Walmart and look through the APPLE BARREL brand paints...I am sure they will have the exact color you are looking for......you would probally need two bottles and they are like $0.75 a bottle I think, and then get a bottle of TEXTILE MEDIUM, you'll find it right by the paints. Read the directions, I am pretty sure it is two parts medium to one part paint, with some warm water in a large pot....mix it together, put the white leo in there, until you get the shade you want. hang it up to dry, I have dyed lots of things this way, when I needed a certain color.

Hope this maybe helps...:)

You all are AWESOME. I am heading to walmart tonight to get paints and such after Hockey practice. I am now getting very excited about this project. I got the skirt made and it turned out so pretty the colors blened so well together now to get the body and head piece done. DD was jumping up and down at the tutu when she got home from school. Now to embelish the skirt and do the top. I pray this all turns out. I am not the one to make costumes so I am really really really trying to get this to all come together. Watch I will be spending more on this home made one than ordering the one in the first place. At least we don't have practice on Halloween so she will get to go trick or treating.

Now wish me luck I may have a HUGE mess here tonight.

Hugs to you all for your help. We have a peacock blue leo drying right now. That tip on the paint and medium did the trick. I even added a bit of irridissent glitter paint to give it a little sparkle. DD is all about the sparkle. It is starting to come together. I am so excited. If I had each of you here right now I would hug you all for your help with this project. DD is going to be the most beautiful peacock I have ever seen. I swear I am as excited as she is about this darn thing. Again thanks for all the help. I will for sure post pictures when I get it 100% done.

Since you have a few weeks to go before Halloween, here's a tip for a coordinating headpiece or mask. If you have a zoo nearby, call them and ask if they have peacocks. If they do, nicely ask if you could collect some of their feathers. They constantly lose and replace their feathers. Zoos sweep up garbage bags full of them day after day. A simple cleaning solution of hot water and vinegar (there may be other solutions, just google it) will sanitize them and then do whatever you'd like with the real thing! My dad is an elephant trainer for a zoo, growing up we had a huge display of peacock feathers in full display on one of our walls--it was huge, beautiful, and was totally free.

Since you have a few weeks to go before Halloween, here's a tip for a coordinating headpiece or mask. If you have a zoo nearby, call them and ask if they have peacocks. If they do, nicely ask if you could collect some of their feathers. They constantly lose and replace their feathers. Zoos sweep up garbage bags full of them day after day. A simple cleaning solution of hot water and vinegar (there may be other solutions, just google it) will sanitize them and then do whatever you'd like with the real thing! My dad is an elephant trainer for a zoo, growing up we had a huge display of peacock feathers in full display on one of our walls--it was huge, beautiful, and was totally free.

Wow! It's amazing the things you can learn on this board! That's great!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back