HElP! sweaty at gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymfan4ever95

Coach
Gymnast
Hey, okay, so i have had this sweat problem for a while. I sweat a lot under my armpits, ik, gross. And i can only wear velvet leo's because of this, (any other fabric shows sweat through it). And our new team leo isn't velvet!!!
This happens when i wear shirts too, i will just be standing out in the heat and will start sweating and have pit stains! Is there anything i can do to stop this problem? it is kind of embarassing and i am sick of it! I wear deodorant and everything. Help me please!

I used to have this problem when i was like 11 and i kinda grew out of it, but i use the secret clinical strength deoterant. Its right with the other deoterants on the shelves, but just be careful, cuz its not clear...
:)

Try lots of different types of deodorent (sp?) until you find one that works for you, or go to your doctor, I'm sure they'd help! There's nothing to be embarrassed about, honestly! Everyone sweats!!

Hey your working out your going to sweat nothing to be embarrased about. at your age your body is going to do alot of different things you might not like. Talk to your mom about it maybe a prescription strength antiperspirant will work.

Make sure your "deoderant" isn't just deoderant but its an antiperspirant too. straight deoderant doesn't stop sweating just makes you smell nice.

becareful too about trying different ones as some are really strong and can make you break out.

As everyone else said, try different deodorants/anti-persperants, and if they don't work, you can see your doctor.

However, I wouldn't worry about it too much. As a coach, I've seen all my gymnasts sweaty, and believe me, no one cares. We rather expect it. Some girls sweat more than others, but that's life.

its called hyperhydrosis and i have found the best thing for it is ordorban but if that doesnt work try talking to the doctor because they will also be able to help

The only gymnasts that don't sweat are on Stick It. So don't be embarassed, just try different stuff and see what works.

Ugh...me too. Except I don't just sweat from my armpits (I'm okay there), it's my head that's the problem. My hair is totally wet and I have sweat running down my face constantly. Everyone says it's gross, but what can I do? My suggestion would be to bring a towel or rag with you and find a private place to dry yourself off.

Dont worry about it! All the girls on my team sweat like crazy! Its a natrual think. Like the other people said different deoderonts might help you not sweat so much.

Every gym I ever went to never had air conditioning. I sweat a lot! After workouts I could wring the sweat out of my leotard. I always had a towel to wipe my skin off so when I was spotted the coach would not drop me because I was so slippery! Just wear a strong deodorant to avoid the nasty underarm sweat smell. Sweat from anywhere else just smells salty. Also, in hot weather don't forget to replenish the salt you lose when you perspire. I learned the hard way by suffering from heat stroke one time. I'll never do that again.

So is it normal to have sweat stains under your arms though? I am just scared people will laugh and point at meets if that happens.

all the girls in the Tween/Teen age group sweat and it's noticable but really everyone is sweating so no one really cares. When the summer comes our gym has an inground pool so the last 15 min of team practice is aways a dip in the pool leo and all because they all are dripping with sweat.

A few things...
* If you have underarm hair, shave it. This helps to reduce a bit of the sweatiness.
* Try to wear sleavless leo's and T-shirts to get more airflow happening. Don't try to hide the problem in a baggy T-shirt it will only make it worse.
* The colour of the leotard makes a difference to how much sweat marks show. It may not be as bad as you think.
* Make sure you wash the Leo after use, I coached a girl who had permanant sweat marks in her Leotard due to poor/non existant washing... gross.

Hi,

If you are worried about sweat patches in your comp leo, would it be worth asking your coach whether you can take it 'half off' whilst you aren't competing and wear a t-shirt instead?
So for warm up, perhaps you could wear shorts and t-shirt with your leotard pulled down to waist height? And then when you are competing you just pull your arms through the sleeves and take the t-shirt and shorts off? I know I wouldn't have a problem with that if one of my gymnasts asked me that!

As for sweating during training, really try not to worry about it! I know it is hard, I had/have to deal with it too! When I was younger I did dance and we had a leotard which had very long straps - so long that I was unable to wear a bra with it so I used to get sweat patches under my bust as well as down my back and under arms! I was so conscious of it, especially because nobody else seemed to sweat! However, we were all the same age and nobody ever mentioned it to me!

Luckily I have never been 'smelly' even though I do sweat a lot!
It is important as pinapple lump above said, to make sure you shave if you have underarm hair and also make sure you wash regularly, morning and night.

I have heard that applying deodorant before bed also helps to reduce sweat!

Don't forget, everyone sweats, some just more than others! I just laugh it off these days saying 'well I'm obviously working harder than you! ;)'

Hope something I've said helps!
Marie

dont worry about it! everyone sweats especially when working out. and dont worry about the meets! being sweaty is going to happen. you're wearing a long-sleeved leo and at least for the one's i go to, the gyms are always hot. :)

Thanks! This is helping a lot! I do shave under my arms and wash my leo's after each use, and i wear sleevless leo's (usually :)) haha.
I am starting to feel a lot less self consious now, hearing that even though the other girls in my gym (only 15) don't sweat a lot, it is normal. And the other girls definatly don't work as hard as i do (they goof off a lot), so that good be why i felt it was just me. Thank you all again! I will still wear velvet leo's only, but if i see a non-velvet one that i like (i dont have any!) i will buy it and wear it anyways, because sweat shows that i am working hard! You guys helped a lot! Thanks for all your advice!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back