MAG help us brainstorm: cool safe dance moves to translate from boy's L4

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

emorymom

Proud Parent
We have a little project for tomorrow; my 7yo 2nd year L4 son needs to do some dancing with some "cool gymnast moves" -- a list of things that he can do that would be SAFE on a regular floor (not spring, not mats) to incorporate would be great, and cover my preplanning for next spring's talent show.

Obviously, cartwheels, one handed cartwheels, roundoff, he could do all that when he was 4.
Handstand, half turn, step down, handstand, half turn, step down

I'm kinda drawing a blank here. Cool, safe tricks? What have you seen your boys do? He can't walk very far on his hands yet. He can't do circles on the floor.

Can he press to hand stand?
What about his splits? Or different levers?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I thought he could do a press handstand but I'm not sure it's solid. It should be next spring. He does handstand to forward roll to handstand to forward roll to handstand really well.

Full turning jump, tuck jump, straddle jump

Lift to handstand from standing straddle with hands on floor?

Y balance

Front support, rear support, candle stick, shoulder roll, forward roll, straight legged forward roll

Russian lever, straddle lever

Hope that helps a bit

If he has his back extension roll, it looks really cool to do that into the splits.

A back extension roll on a hard surface may not be a good idea. Especially if he does it correctly (ie with straight arms)

Last edited:
Something to knee. Maybe front walkover to knee? Possibly a chest stand (like Alicia does in her beam routine)? Possibly a scale or a Y scale?

I wonder why guys don't do them? Thanks for your advice. For today it was a pretty smooth carpet over a decent pad so it turned out to be a good surface for rolls.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk

My son did a mushroom routine for the talent show this year. We just brought in a panel mat and his mushroom. He started with a standing back tuck and then started on the mushroom. He just did 4 or 5 circles, a few flairs, and then the thing where you circle and move around the mushroom. It was short and simple but really got lots of attention because people hadn't seen a mushroom routine before.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back