WAG help with back layout half twist please?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ari97

Gymnast
So I'm trying to learn a back layout half twist but I'm having trouble twisting! I can do like half of a half. I've looked online and I found something that said a good drill is to do a backhandspring but when your vertical in the air you twist, I'm also having trouble with that too. Anyone have any tips or drills?

I'm going to leave specific suggestions to your coaches and coaches on this forum, but will offer one observation based on my DDs experience. DD tried for 6 months to get her full and was barely making a 1/2. It was confounding her till she had a big realization that even the coaches hadn't noticed. She was twisting the wrong direction. She went from barely a 1/2 to practicing
doubles on tumble track in less than 6 weeks (and will be competing a 1 1/2 this season).

I couldn't believe it was such a simple fix, so you may just need a small correction that your coaches can help with. Timing and height are so important - a lot of it is just practice. Keep working on it and I'm sure it will come soon.

So, can you do it on the tumble trak or into the pit? My DD learned this on the tramp by jumping backwards to land on her back, and then bouncing off her back and continuing the flip backwards while doing the twist, then landing on her feet. I hope that makes sense. Good luck!

Nope I can only do like half of a half lol, but with bouncing on ur back first wouldnt it be hard to get enough height in order to twist?

How are you trying to twist? (arms by your side, arms crossing your chest and pulling to the side) Are you looking at your shoulder? After you set turn your head to look at your shoulder, whichever way you want to turn. Make sure you have plenty of height. This should help to initiate the twist.

Work on your roundoff back handspring and concentrate on punching quickly while you stand up into your set. Stand up instead of reaching back with your shoulders for your take-off. The correct take-off will give your twist more energy because the puch for the correct take-off puts more pressure/energy into the spring floor, and the spring floor reacts by returning that energy to your body. It's *that* energy that makes both the salto and the twist work the way they should.

I'm telling you this because an early twist usually has less energy because you can't corkscrew your body and punch at the same time. So work the bhs and the set into the layout......

Trampoline...back layout bounce half turn until you can twist without the bounce.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back