Help with drills for my coaching exam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MissBear

Coach
Gymnast
So I got the skills for my exam, on the 13th September. I've got:
Group warm up (everybody gets this for every exam, so that's easy)
Bars: Kip cast handstand
Beam:Forward walkover
Floor: Round off BHS BT
Vault: Take off and landing drills

I'm away, so I haven't thought too much about it yet, but my thoughts so far
are that the bars will be hard, the beam will be hardish, the floor and vault shouldn't be too bad.

Bars: Lots of kips. Lots of cast handstands. Practise on shiny bar and supported. Practise on elastic handstand trainer.

Beam: Help! FWO on beam is hardly a common skill and i'm going to have to search the gym to find anyone who's actually trained FWO before! Tic-tocs on beam, and split handstands.

Floor: RO BHS rebound, caught by me. Then turn over with coach. Repeat on floor (rather than tumble track)

Vault: Springboard work. Jumping off various heights. Strong core landing position.

What do you think? Can you think of any more drills, especially for floor and beam?
Thanks for any help.

forward walkover on beam is more common in UK as it is in one of our grades. We just concentrate on doing a really good one on the floor then onto a bench then floor beam with mat over. Gradually moving it up to high beam. Most kids find it quite easy if they have a good one on floor. The only drill I have seen is for the stand up bit. gymnast stands on landing leg and holds other leg up high which coach then holds still. Gymnast reaches back with arms almost to floor and then stands up again keeping arms by ears while coach holds leg still. Repeat lots of times. Hope that helps.

Oooh remembered another one for the walkover. Split handstands on floor and against wall trying to make 180 split. Also lots of splits work concentrating on not twisting and bridges working the shoulder flexibility. I would also do tummy strengthening work. You really need good shoulders, good splits and a good tummy to pull yourself up again without twisting.

Kip- short/drop kips, V-holds, Hang L toes to bar leg lift. Bar muscle-ups for upper body kip strength, planche progressions for cast handstand as well as reverse leg lifts for lower back strength. Straddle press on floor bar if doing cast to straddled HS besides press to HS from straddle on single rail.

FWO on BB is same as floor. Work on beam strip to low beam, middle and high beam using stacked mats if necessary. Gotta have flexible shoulders, back and hip flexors for any success, imo.

FX- For RO-BHS, work lots of HS snapdown BHS and BHS series on tumbl-trak. Focus must be on donkey kick to HS, Hanging Leg Lifts, hollow/arch position and HS work. RO must be cleaned up by training on a strip or line to identify RO faults such as stepping offline or funky hand placement.

Vault- Focus on sprint speed by plyometrics like single leg jumps and squats. Focus on proper springboard punching technique besides targeting cues down runway and off board.

Thanks both of you. As it's an exam it's a bit different to just coaching in the gym, as you have to go through several months of work in half an hour on each piece! So you get about 10 minutes for physical prep/conditioning, then 20 to go through all the progressions right up to the full skill.

gymnut - I am actually in the uk too, but I had forgotten there was the walkover in grade 6. Thanks!

I will be in the gym on wednesday so will give all your suggestions a try.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back