WAG Help with flat backs and hand springs?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm at camp this week and there are a few skills I'd like to improve, including my flat back and handspring on vault... Has anyone got any useful tips I could use?!

What part are you having trouble with? My advice would be run as fast as you can, do NOT forget the underarm circle, as soon as your hands hit the table, push off hard, then fall straight to your back. Don't over think the skill or it will be very hard. My problem was not blocking onto the table correctly, so my coach stood in front of the vault and had me block over her. Scarrrrrryyyyy haha!

My problem is getting my heels up fast enough before hitting the table if that makes sense!

A faster run, a lower hurdle, and a quick punch on the board. Those are the three big things you have to do at least kinda well if you want a handspring vault.

The run is the most important, so if there's a coach at camp who's telling you how to run and keep your steps right you ought to stick to that coach like stink on a skunk. Really, you can work for the next six months, or get your run fixed up in a few days, and then make that six months of progress in a short week.

My problem is getting my heels up fast enough before hitting the table if that makes sense!
Best advice I got for this was from here at CB (I think it was Coach Todd?) - to punch your feet in front of you on the board. (I have tried this and so has my DD and it worked for both of us).

Best advice I got for this was from here at CB (I think it was Coach Todd?) - to punch your feet in front of you on the board. (I have tried this and so has my DD and it worked for both of us).
Stole my answer.
People over think vault. Get a good run. One that is as fast as you can control. A quick low hurdle is next. Try to push the springboard into the vault mat when you punch it (arm circle is helpful) make sure your arms are down when you hit the board (shoulder height is low enough. you can have them lower if you're just doing a flatback or handspring)
Squeeze everything you own until you've bounced off the vault (table or mat) then land.
Good Luck

Thanks, I've tried that today and its really helped. My coach said what I need to improve on now is getting my arms up by my ears rather that swinging them over the top!

Backward circles with the arms help a lot. You can practice just doing a hurdle while arm circling, land with your arms down then bring them up to your ears from the front when you bounce. you don't even need a springboard for this one.
Glad to hear it's helping.

Maybe you're not looking to the front enough in the first flight phase of your handspring. When you're on the board and you bring your chin to your chest before you hit the table, you will create an angle at your hips and thus it will be very difficult to lift your heels. The same will happen if you hit the board with your chest to the front and with an angle at you hips. Don't lift your head all the way to the back though.
Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back