Help with pike stretches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Blessed4x

Proud Parent
My DD seems to have a particular aversion to pike stretches. She has her splits, both ways, and can get flat to the floor on a straddle stretch, but the pike is not pretty. Obviously practicing several times a day (that's what her coach told her to do) will help. Just wondered if there were any other ideas to help her improve and exactly which muscle groups this stretch works. Is it mostly back or more hamstring? Just curious...and thanks for any advice!

Hamstring...gluteal...and the extensor muscles in the back. They're all interconnected in a functioal sense with respect to pike flexibility.

A shotgun approach flexibility exercise......Have her sit in a pike position on the floor. Let her bend forward while you very gently apply pressure. She should reverse the motion when she gets to the point of feeling a stretch, gentle pressure should be provided as she moves upward. She should repeat this motion 15 times, and the pressure can be slightly increased with each repetition as she warms up the muscle. So take it easy on the first 4-5 reps.

This exercise will accomplish more than you'd believe if you do it properly. The don't list......Absolutely no pain, no rapid movements, no bouncing.

The do list......Take it slow! Consider the first few sessions as orientation and training exercises while you both learn how to communicate. Do a set of 15 reps, and then stretch for five minutes in a pike, a slightly straddled pike, and a moderately straddled pike. Repeat this 1-2 times. Only do the exercise, at first, on alternate days. If she wants to after 5 sessions, she can increase the frequency to 2 days on - 1 day off.

My DD has also had problems with pike. Her neuro-muscular therapist has helped immensely with improving her pike flexibility. With my DD, the issue was not so much hamstrings, but mainly in the calf muscles. Also, massage of her back, neck, scalp and soles of feet has helped. Sounds strange, but we've found out everything is connected by fascia, and sometimes flexibility problems can be someplace you wouldn't expect. The NMT also taught us some stretching techniques that are not identical but similar to those described by iwannacoach.

Wow...thank you!! I am such a visual learner I wish there was a YouTube video showing what you describe. I will check. And thanks Nicki for the massage idea!

Another helpful thing is to have her stand with her feet together and just bend over and hang while gravity slowly pulls her arms down. Once her hands can reach flat on the ground have her walk her hands behind her legs, then sit in a pike stretch and see how much further she is :)

Update for iwannacoach....thanks!! It's really helping. She still doesn't like the flexibility work, but she knows it's going to have to happen if she wants to progress, and she does.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back