Help with Round off Back Handspring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I need some help with my ROBH. I am told your elbos are supposed to be straight in the BH. Last time i tried, it happend 2ce so far, i hyperextended both my elbows.. meaning my arms/elbos were locked, and it souldnt take the pressure so my elbows bent, andy help or ides, yes, i no, i need to work on my shoulders, right angle.. drills? anything please!! most times i do ir right, but one one time in everymonth i do it withmy elbows, and right before comp, dont want that!!

Are your toes coming high enough when you jump back? I tell my girls that though they pass through a tight arch, a really rockin' roundoff backhandspring goes pretty much straight to handstand.

Instead of focusing on keeping your elbows super tight, just be sure you see your hands hit the floor. That's the biggest problem I tend to see with bhs--if a kid isn't looking at her hands when they make contact with the floor, then she is more likely to bend her elbows than if she is looking. Don't really want to smash your face into the floor right? Then work on pushing through your shoulders quickly and powerfully to get off the floor and snap down your legs to finish.

For those with hyperextension in their elbows it is better to turn the hands so that the fingers start facing each other.

Another solution is more focus on bent and straight arm strength ( pushups and handstand pushups, support hold especially ring support hold )

Hi "Create Magic" I was wondering if you would share how you prompt gymnasts to "push through your shoulders quickly and powerfully to get off the floor and snap down your legs to finish." in the exit of ROs and BHSprings. I use a few different drills to get it to happen but being a coach who has never felt what it is like, I wonder if there are any cues you give to facilitate that fast rise of shoulders as feet snap under. I know it is a real basic question but I am keen to hear what others say & do. I like to hear from anyone please.

Wally, I use handstand snap down/thru to teach them how to push off their hands and land in the right position. I help them get their upper body up with a spot ( I spot the arched handstand on their left side so one hand holds their legs behind the knee and the other pushes their chest out on their shoulder blades [I can switch hands and it makes no difference]).

I will flip the hand behind the shoulder blades to their armpit to help push them up.

If a tumbler/gymnast can not master the levering action from a lunge to HS and back to lunge, they aren't gonna get it. I don't even bother with anything else unless they can master this basic. Typically if they can't master this their cartwheel won't be very good either when it comes to lunge CW lunge or lunge CW step-in.

I can make this easier by having them do lunge HS lunge going up a wedge or placing their hands against a wall (it's easier to push because their hands are higher).

As well I teach them how to push starting from standing to a wall like a pushup position and popping their shoulders. we also do pushup bounces on the tumbl-trak/floor (eventually we will do hollow body pushup [more like a dish/hollow position than plank]). I can have them do against a cheese mat or mat on wall if I am concerned about their wrists and the wall.

Of course, eventually they should be able to do handstand shrugs against the wall, handstand pops on tumbl-trak with a spot, and handstand pops on floor ( first doing it on a folded out panel mat, down a panel mat, up a panel mat, etc )

If you can ever work HS snapdown on a mini-tramp or trampoline/tumbl-trak with a block, they can learn the movement over time since the only way to get off the mini tramp with a straight jump is to push off their hands.

I have/had this problem too, but my coach told me how to fix that. She said I am jumping too high and not enough back. So try thinking about reaching/jumping as far back as you can. I hope that helped. :D

Blairbob, thanks for the spotting tip. I was using a beat board to asist propolsion of arms but also sitting on it and spotting by lifting the arms. I worked hard but I wasn't sure if it really gave anything more than a model to feel.

I spend a great deal of time with position lunge HS lunge (We call them SEE-SAWS) to ensure good entry into all forward tumbling and I have been doing snap downs too. (Snap unders) Most gymnasts are getting snaps unders well from the drills but a few are still piking down a bit. I have worked on ground position shaping stuff and they are doing these well. Not having ever been a gymnast I was wondering if the verbal/kinesthetic cues I'm giving are appropriate. Other wise I am really content to keep pushing along the road I am on. I used to coach girls who attended training 10= HOURS A WEEK. I have returned to gymnastics working with a local police youth club where the girls are only there for 2-3 hours a week.

Thanks again . And I am always open to suggestions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back