WAG Help with roundoff

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ivyagogo

Coach
I have been working with a girl to get her roundoff backhandspring for cheerleading. Sometimes they are quite good, often they aren't. Here is an example of a bad roundoff. Again, sometimes they are good but they are very inconsistent. Obviously, she is crooked right from her hurdle and she has no pop. She lands almost completely flat footed. I want to take her back a few steps and really strenghten her roundoff. Please help! This girl works really hard. She has a beautiful front and back walkover. She is the type that absolutely won't do anything on her own until she really, really has it.

Thanks.

[video=youtube;Y0AuUpg25dY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0AuUpg25dY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

She needs to not cross her leg over in her hurdle which is probably the reason she is tumbling crooked.

2nd hand placement is too far off from the first.

Needs to get a whole lot stronger. More pushups, more leglifts, more squats/lunges.

when she hurdles, she needs to keep her left arm down near parallel/shoulder height or approx 3:00. her right arm should be above or higher than her left arm and hand. this is called opposition.

the reason she is crossing over is because she is raising her left arm higher than her right. this is causing her torso to dramatically turn/twist to the left. this causes the right leg to "crossover" to the left side of the left leg. this causes the round off to do a "half on" on to the floor instead of a quarter turn cartwheel.

if she has a hard time with this concept, tell her to hurdle with her right arm only and keep the left arm at her left side. then when she bends over, place both hands down one at a time. you'll see the problem diminish instantly.

lowering the left arm below the right arm on the hurdle will straighten this out. start with that and come back with video. :)

Thanks Dunno. I knew that arm was a problem, but I didn't quite know why or how. I will be working a lot with her on this.

Bob - that's going to be tough for me. My gym is rec only and I just don't have that much time with her. I do personal lessons with her twice a week for 1/2 hour each. She's actually come a really long way in the limited time I have with her.

With someone of her level I wouldn't get too technical. The line down the middle is always a good drill (have her put one hand on each side of it), but she is running past it so she can't use it as a visual. Move the line forward or her backwards and start with that basic correction. Latter you might have her start reaching a little more 'forward' and less up. Keep up the good work! :)

I'd drop a hint as I often do so with cheerleaders I do privates for. Especially if they want to get a back salto or build up to back fulls or double fulls.

HUGE difference this week. Her roundoff is much improved and so is her roundoff back handspring. I am still spotting her, but she really has it. All I am doing is touching her. I really wanted her to go for it yesterday. She did about 10 really perfect ones and I know she has it, but she still won't do it on her own. She started to cry and it broke my heart. Physically, it's all hers, mentally, she needs to step up and have some confidence. She was the same way with her walkovers. When she finally did it on her own, they were perfect. Hopefully she will get there soon. I know she's frustrated and I think her parents are too. All in good time (even if it's a long time)!

In addition to what Bob and dunno mentioned, you may want to have her bend the front leg. She looks to be trying to come into the skill with a straight lunge leg. That will put her too high on entry and kill her power.

Welcome to my world of coaching cheer tumblers. :)
I just added coaching Taekwondo tumbles as well. We'll she what happens with that one.

^^^ Ehh, good luck on that. Most of the kids I've had who wanted to learn how to tumble coming from acrobatic martial arts were naturally blessed with being powerful though.

It can be fun and extra cash if I ever have the time. And to be honest, I rarely do as a coach so I tend to just pawn off privates towards other coaches.

We have parkour classes at our gym. It's fun to watch those boys (and a few girls). Their tumbling is so carefree.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back