Help with setting on my back tuck

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Hi, haven't posted in a while, it's been a little hectic with year 11 and gym and all that, but at gym today, i started working on round off flic back tucks again after about a year and a bit of not doing them at all and well they didn't go so well, i would have a nice high rebound on a round off flic on its own but when i added a sault on the end it just went to the ground, any ideas on how i can fix this?

i have that same problem too! i try to make my round off backhand spring SUPER fast and powerful, (but not high!) it works VERY well for for me, but im not a coach, so this advice might not be very useful. good luck though!

i have a very powerful round off flic, and my coach tells me i should be able to sault out of it but as soon as i go to add a tuck onto all the power seems to vanish as i tuck

ro bhs set onto a resi/whale mat, once you can do that and land on your feet easily put a cheese mat with the thick end facing you on top of the whale mat and do ro bhs set/backward roll down the cheese.

hi, i used to have a problem on round off flic tucbacs to. but no i concentrate on running really fast into the move i don't change my flic i think of each prt of move as i do. when ive done my flic i think about goin up and pullin in. if you do thias and run fast iton it you should be fine!! =)

yeah haha it's called a crash mat lol they are like 30cm thick :) hehe

A resi and a crash mat are not the same thing. A Resi pit is large soft mat which is about 80 cms high, with a soft top to make landing on it like landing in a foam pit. You don't see them very much in Australia.

If you have a good rebound but then you go down in your back tuck then that usually means you are rushing the back tuck, you are probably tucking over into your back salto before you have rebounded to your full height out of your flic. You need to allow you rebound to reach full height and then complete the tuck.

Good drills are to use a large box, a mini tramp and a crash mat. Do a handstand on the large box and corbut down onto the mini tramp and practice waiting long to do the back salto onto the crash mat. The mini tramp will give you extra height and the crash mat a soft enough landing that it will help you feel confident enough to wait long before completing the tuck.

A resi and a crash mat are not the same thing. A Resi pit is large soft mat which is about 80 cms high, with a soft top to make landing on it like landing in a foam pit. You don't see them very much in Australia.

If you have a good rebound but then you go down in your back tuck then that usually means you are rushing the back tuck, you are probably tucking over into your back salto before you have rebounded to your full height out of your flic. You need to allow you rebound to reach full height and then complete the tuck.

Good drills are to use a large box, a mini tramp and a crash mat. Do a handstand on the large box and corbut down onto the mini tramp and practice waiting long to do the back salto onto the crash mat. The mini tramp will give you extra height and the crash mat a soft enough landing that it will help you feel confident enough to wait long before completing the tuck.

i see girls at my gym do the large box and mini tramp handstand to backsault drill :) oh so a resi is kind of like a high jump mat? we have one of those but its only little like 1m by 2m :)

Thank you aussie coach! whats scary is before reading this (while i was at training) we were doing this exact drill! and btw you sound exactly like my coach! :p

I don't know exactly what your problem is without seeing it but I think I have the same problem. I can do all the drills fine and set by itself well but as soon as I get to actually joining a back sault I freak out. I find it's just my freaking out that sends me to the ground because I just set back as if I were doing half way between a back handspring and sault. I find if I go back to the tumbing track and add a bounce in between my BHS and sault I gain my confidence and can do it. Hope it helps.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back