Help With Splits

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AliyaFan76

Gymnast
I've finally decided it's time to really get those splits down to the floor, and I've been practicing splits along with other basic stretches most days for about 2 weeks, but haven't really seen any improvement. Does anyone have any advice?

You have to make sure you warm up properly before you start.

Stretching splits is not just stretching the split. It's also the prep stretches, straddle stretch, pike stretch etc.

Holding a stretch for 10 seconds is not going to help. I always use 30 seconds, but if you don't feel the stretch (stretching should never hurt! Very important part. Just some mild discomfort. I am now talking about the discomfort) you can hold for longer. You can even do this while for example watching TV

Do not overdo it though. Those muscles need rest too!

Yep, I always stretch after a run (I've read stretching after cardio helps), and I try not to go straight to splits. I usually only do ten seconds, I'll try thirty and see if it helps. Thanks!

Make sure you are stretching more than just the splits! Stretch your straddles, pikes, etc...

Also make sure you are doing your lunge stretches.

To help improve them if you have time is to do the spider stretches, pigeon stretches, and over splits (even double overs) and you’ll get your splits in no time!

Hope this helps!! :)

Has your coach taught you the hip flexor stretch? You put one knee on the floor and the other foot in front of it on the floor. Then you squeeze your bottom and press your hips forward to feel a stretch near your hips. It really helps with splits. Pike and straddle stretches are also really good. Just remember to be patient and do it overdo it. You’ll get it with time, effort, and the proper stretches.

Has your coach taught you the hip flexor stretch? You put one knee on the floor and the other foot in front of it on the floor. Then you squeeze your bottom and press your hips forward to feel a stretch near your hips. It really helps with splits. Pike and straddle stretches are also really good. Just remember to be patient and do it overdo it. You’ll get it with time, effort, and the proper stretches.
Hmm I think I've heard of that, but I don't think I've learned. I've pretty much got right and left so now it's just middle. Thanks for the help!

Make sure you are stretching more than just the splits! Stretch your straddles, pikes, etc...

Also make sure you are doing your lunge stretches.

To help improve them if you have time is to do the spider stretches, pigeon stretches, and over splits (even double overs) and you’ll get your splits in no time!

Hope this helps!! :)
Thanks for the reply! Yep, I do lunges, pidgeon, pike, etc. I've seen some improvement, so I'm going to keep working!

I've finally decided it's time to really get those splits down to the floor, and I've been practicing splits along with other basic stretches most days for about 2 weeks, but haven't really seen any improvement. Does anyone have any advice?
My advice is to keep on pushing your limits and stay consistent. I also would advise that you go to Alivia D'andrea's youtube channel, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChIjQmxk48Fn8UYdJH2NaoQ she has flexibility videos for everything. I wish you good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back