hey there, new nervous mom of a level 1 gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

witchniche

Proud Parent
hey there all! i'm glad to be here. our gym is currently phasing out competing at level 1 and level 2. my 6 yr old spent her kindergarten year in pre competition level.. not even level 1. her coach quit in march and the new coach moved her two weeks later to level 1 non competitive and said to me, i don't know why she didn't get moved to level 1 last fall.... well i thought that too last fall but was too dumb to speak up, i didn't want to be one of those moms....lol now in june b/c there isn't any level 1 anymore she got moved to level 2 competitive... her coach wants her to compete this fall at level 2 so she'll get some experience -she said i don't want her to be the level 3 competing for the first time... it's horrible for those girls... but she's floundering in class. the level 2 girls got moved from level 1 to 2 in january so they are 6 months ahead... she's very frustrated, 'the other girls are so much better'... and yesterday, she burst in to tears in class... and on the ride home she told me, i'm the worst gymnast in the class, it makes me mad, but today it made me cry. my response... don't laugh... suck it up buttercup... i'm not sure i'm financially able to do privates, i'm already making a car payment at gymnastics... lol any suggestions would be most welcome..

My only suggestion is to be encouraging and keep it light/fun. A soft place to land if she's feeling down. Don't worry about the skills or being behind, etc. She is so early in her gymnastics journey right now that it really doesn't matter. Girls will quit. Girls will progress at different rates. Girls will skip levels or repeat levels. It's such a long road, and at this point the most important thing is that she feels good about what she is doing. In the long run, it won't matter if she's best Level 2, or the worst L2, or somewhere in-between. And L2 really won't matter if she ends up quitting because she feels unhappy or pressured in the gym. So really, truly just enjoy this time.

I know it's hard not to get caught up in the whole thing. I definitely did when mine was just starting at age 7. She did gymnastics at home and I would offer advice ("pointed toes!" "straight legs!"). We had a mat and a little folding floor beam. Mine is now 10 yrs old (almost 11) and training L8 -- but starting feel the pressure and anxiety of harder skills. I wish I could back to my 7-year old kiddo and say "I love you! Have fun!" instead of "Pointed toes! Straight legs!" Lesson learned.

What is frustrating her the routines, the skills, the drills?

If they even started routines it just takes practice, when my DD was in L2 she ended up doing the routines non stop, everywhere we went she was walking herself through the floor or beam routine, but at first she was scared that she wouldn't be able to remember it.

If it is the skills they will come, don't worry if they aren't perfect yet, just keep doing them and listen to the coaches, they aren't expected to have any skills mastered yet.

If it is the drills, she is doing the drills to help make her better as a gymnast, they are challenging on purpose so that she can build better strength, flexibility, body shapes, explosiveness, etc.

I know it's hard for them to understand and I think just about every gymnast has said that exact phrase at some point, but don't get wrapped to much in the psychology of it all, with enough practice and repetitions it will all come together.

My only suggestion is to be encouraging and keep it light/fun. A soft place to land if she's feeling down. Don't worry about the skills or being behind, etc. She is so early in her gymnastics journey right now that it really doesn't matter. Girls will quit. Girls will progress at different rates. Girls will skip levels or repeat levels. It's such a long road, and at this point the most important thing is that she feels good about what she is doing. In the long run, it won't matter if she's best Level 2, or the worst L2, or somewhere in-between. And L2 really won't matter if she ends up quitting because she feels unhappy or pressured in the gym. So really, truly just enjoy this time.

I know it's hard not to get caught up in the whole thing. I definitely did when mine was just starting at age 7. She did gymnastics at home and I would offer advice ("pointed toes!" "straight legs!"). We had a mat and a little folding floor beam. Mine is now 10 yrs old (almost 11) and training L8 -- but starting feel the pressure and anxiety of harder skills. I wish I could back to my 7-year old kiddo and say "I love you! Have fun!" instead of "Pointed toes! Straight legs!" Lesson learned.
thanks for the response... i think this is just an adjustment problem... this move is her first experience with kids that are farther along. her coach told me, this is gonna be a game balancing her confidence until she gets up to speed... and she told aubrey, i know you can do this.. but whining and pouting are not gonna get you on the team... so her initital reaction to how she perceives, 'girls that are better'... at first she got mad, then she got sad, and now she's fighting... today was so much better... she's only ending her 2nd week... but my concern was what's going on in her head... and she told me this morning, i'm not quitting and i'm not gonna cry today, i want to make the team....

What is frustrating her the routines, the skills, the drills?

If they even started routines it just takes practice, when my DD was in L2 she ended up doing the routines non stop, everywhere we went she was walking herself through the floor or beam routine, but at first she was scared that she wouldn't be able to remember it.

If it is the skills they will come, don't worry if they aren't perfect yet, just keep doing them and listen to the coaches, they aren't expected to have any skills mastered yet.

If it is the drills, she is doing the drills to help make her better as a gymnast, they are challenging on purpose so that she can build better strength, flexibility, body shapes, explosiveness, etc.

I know it's hard for them to understand and I think just about every gymnast has said that exact phrase at some point, but don't get wrapped to much in the psychology of it all, with enough practice and repetitions it will all come together.
her coach told me she got overlooked and now she's gotta catch up... when the new coach started in march, she moved her immediately one level and now june 1st, she got moved again to level 2... she said her skills are there... and i know she loves the drills and she could care less about the routine... she's never cared about the routine... but i think b/c the class overall is 6 girls that in her eyes are 'better' she's feeling inferior... two areas specifically, a mill circle and the vault... she never got exposed to the vault until now... so she's got another week to make the team according to the coach... and today she's all about fighting for her spot on the team... wednesday she was in tears... i really think it's just the adjustment...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back